Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SMILEY CAR
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought about this a lot recently, and something I often forget to do pre-ride is to stretch. I think a lot of people feel that this is unnecessary, because they figure the workout will limber them up on its own, but I don't think that way.

From my experience, stretching the leg muscles (quads, calves, etc.) and even the upper body (arm muscles mainly), it tends to give you greater flexibility and, as I've been told, somewhat better circulation. I think I'll try to remember it next time I ride.

What are your thoughts on this process for ride-prep?

·
SMILEY CAR
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's what I tend to end up doing as I feel the lovely buildup of acid in my quads. I'm guessing stretching beforehand might alleviate it.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Warming up a bit first make stretching more effective. You can actually damage muscle by stretching cold.

·
SMILEY CAR
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense, actually. I guess the way I've been doing it isn't too bad. I just need to remember to do a bit of parking lot riding before stretching and heading off then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
does anyone have any tips for improving stretching, like an example would be if i stand with my legs locked i don't even come close to being able to touch my toes, i make a little past my knees, i'm about to have to go through some extensive physical testing and i need to get more limber

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
does anyone have any tips for improving stretching, like an example would be if i stand with my legs locked i don't even come close to being able to touch my toes, i make a little past my knees, i'm about to have to go through some extensive physical testing and i need to get more limber
I had the same problem when I was in the Navy. My wife worked with me to increase my flexibility. I did a lot of stretching. I finally got pretty flexible. Warming up with some walking and running in place just stuff to get the blood pumping. After warmed up I started at the top and worked down stretching each muscle and muscle group. Do long, slow, controlled, stretches. You will quickly reach your limit. When you reach the limit of the muscle on your own then you need help. One way is to have a piece of rope tied off that you can grab and pull to help further stretch, or a towel under your feet to help extend your stretch. You can also have someone help by pulling/ pushing you around or pulling/pushing you down. You will be putting some strain on your muscles so the person has to be trusted to stop when you say and not push or pull farther. When you hit the max hold it for a bit DON'T BOUNCE. Then slowly release. Then repeat. My wife used stretches she learned in martial arts training and it helped me immensely. I went from ends of my fingers at mid shin and my back and legs screaming at me. After a while I was able to reach way past my toes and my chest almost touching my thighs.

Effort and time and you will get it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks, that's what i figured it would be just stretching more to get more flexible. i didn't know if there was any kind of change in my diet or any kind of vitamins that have anything to do with helping make muscles more flexible

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.