Such a lazy (non) spinner

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by rola643, Aug 30, 2016.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I was looking through one of my rides ( that started in another thread ) and I realized I am apparently a lazy rider. I spent 14.8% percent of a 40 mile ride in a 0-5 rpm status which, if my math is right, is 5.92 miles of this 40 mile ride and yet still managed to finish with a 20.1 mph avg. I'll chalk that up to the power/benefit of riding in 18 person peloton shop ride.

I was just surprised to see it when I actually looked at all the ride data, it stood out more than most other stats as a percentage.

Where/what do you suppose yours might be?

Attached Files:

2. cyclenewb

cyclenewb Member

I'm guilty, I don't know what my percentage is but I've been trying to really push myself up hills. My bike is a 21 speed. Most of my riding is done in 18 and 19. Up hills I have been standing up and powering up. My hill times have improved however I noticed at the top of some of the longer hills I pedal with left coast a few feet, push with right coast a few feet.

If I had to guess I'd assume I'm around your percentage due to descends on my route.

3. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Riding in the draft will do that to you.
    Make you feel like a stud race horse!!

4. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I'm not much of a spinner and normally keep my cadence between 60 and 80 rpm. I very seldom go higher unless I'm sprinting or hauling butt to catch a group. From a solo, 50 mile ride, with no down hill, I did in July where my average speed was 17.39 mph:

< 40 rpm: 9% (16:19 min for 8.74 miles).
    40-60 rpm: 13% (22:50 min for 4.76 miles).
    60-70 rpm: 37% (1:04:30 min for 16.47 miles).
    70-80 rpm: 35% (1:00:16 min for 17.2 miles).
    > 80 rpm: 6% (9:46 min for 2.24 miles).

As I said, not much for spinning but I do use my gears and the bike's speed to compensate for the lower rpm. What really amazes me is when I tag along with Amanda Coker and ride a few laps with her. She actually spins slower, on her high racer, than I do and still maintains a 19-21 mph average on a 230+ mile ride.

5. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

WHEEL SUCKER ! ;) :p

As for me. I cramp up and feel bad if my cadence changes much. Pretty much spin the whole ride. Effort could drop but the spinning keeps going. Might be in a high gear but keep on keepin on.

6. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

So are you getting these reports from Strava? I guess you have to do to the website and not the mobile?

I'd like to see mine. Most of my riding is group rides but there should be a difference between a small peleton and a large one. Probably also matters how much ascent/descent you are doing.

7. fpl1

Nothing wrong with being a wheel sucker as long as you do your share of the work IMO. :)

8. rola643

LOl, yup plenty of wheel sucking this ride for sure! 18 people is one of the bigger group rides I do and you just don't have to do much time up front. They "try" and limit pulls when they are running hard. Suggested limit pre-ride was 1 minute pulls and I'm good with that. There are always a few that want to pull quite a bit and I'm good with that too.

It has a twitchy feel to me riding with so many that I'm not sure of them and they of me I'm sure.

I was just surprised to see so much "freewheel" time.

I think, looking at another ride-solo ride, it's way more time spent there than I had imagined. I'm using some different software that looks a little deeper than Strava (and actually is a Strava extension for Chrome).
    First attachment is diffing deeper and the second is just what Strava shows as your avg and the third is graphed from RWGPS and that graph is easy to see where you are a slacker as well.

Attached Files:

9. rola643

Today's effort with a semi conscious effort to have no freewheel time

Attached Files:

10. rola643

Happy with these numbers for the first group ride of the year. % of time is up much mo betta :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  11. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

That looks nice Rola.

12. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

I see whatchas are sayin.......I track none of this. Too many things for erratic result possibilities measuring human performance. Just how windy it is or not doing the same ride on the same bike will change coast/cadence percentages. How you feel that day would too. Different preride meals could change it, etc etc etc. I do see potential for some very useful comparative analysis data to be had in measuring bike performance variances riding different bikes or same bike with different setup in similar conditions on same route. Same heart rate to target similar effort to glean how different bikes perform. I could see it fine tuning a riders potential on a given ride on which bike with what setup.

13. rola643

I started watching this when I realized how much time I had at zero or low cadence and see it as away to improve. It's hard to cheat on cadence or power. So I can spin and increase my heart rate through the roof for I can grind and keep it much much lower. I can cheat on my heart rate not so much on power or cadence

14. rola643

Code:
    [CODE][CODE][CODE][CODE]
    [/CODE][/CODE][/CODE][/CODE]I'm super stocked about this. Less than 3% on a solo ride when it would be so easy to stop and coast more often from being tired. Making huge gains :)

Attached Files:

15. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

Way to go Rola !

16. rola643

Today was slow grind day and even better at 1%

Attached Files:

17. fpl1

Looks like some good rides. You're right about power. You can't cheat it. It's an honest measurement of your input. I'm still using HR which is more the result of your output but it's hard to really rely on it. I blew my upgrade money on new BB and crankset rather than power right now.