Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, too much to list but my rider type according to my 4DP 1 hour test ride is “Rouleur”.

It is the all around cyclist that not necessarily dominates a particular discipline but does most well rounded.

I will take it and run......lol

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Well, too much to list but my rider type according to my 4DP 1 hour test ride is “Rouleur”.

It is the all around cyclist that not necessarily dominates a particular discipline but does most well rounded.

I doubt I would even make that :D

·
1,840 Posts

I would be careful not to let that result define you. All of the energy systems are highly trainable. I used to think of myself as a sucky climber until I devoted some time to it. Within certain limits you can kinda be the rider you want to be. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking miracles. But you might surprise yourself.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
I would be careful not to let that result define you. All of the energy systems are highly trainable. I used to think of myself as a sucky climber until I devoted some time to it. Within certain limits you can kinda be the rider you want to be. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking miracles. But you might surprise yourself.
I would agree for whatever that's worth. I really do wonder why in the pro ranks there is always such a great difference in climbers and sprinters and well...GC Why can they not all work and obtain a degree of good climbing or sprinting skills? I guess it's like any other sport like baseball where a pitcher...is just a pitcher of course unless you happen to be in the National League :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, no doubt. I work on climbing more than anything. I feel that my strengths are as follows:

- General all around riding/flats
- Climbing
- Sprinting

I was unable to get my HR sync’d up for the 4DP 1 hour test. I finally figured it out so I will be doing the 4DP test again near weeks end now.

·
1,840 Posts
I would agree for whatever that's worth. I really do wonder why in the pro ranks there is always such a great difference in climbers and sprinters and well...GC Why can they not all work and obtain a degree of good climbing or sprinting skills? I guess it's like any other sport like baseball where a pitcher...is just a pitcher of course unless you happen to be in the National League :D
The pros of course are the elite. At that rarified air, the differences are small but nevertheless significant. A pro who’s at 5 w/kg can’t climb with a guy who’s 6 w/kg. And between guys who both can climb at 6 w/kg, the guy who’s a little punchier can put in a big dig to get a small gap and then recover back to his climbing pace and just maintain that small gap to get the summit win. That's what Hindley tried to do to Hart on the summit of Giro stage 20, repeated jumps to try to get a gap but he couldn't make it stick. That’s just pure physiology. Sprinting is a little different. A larger massed rider will beat a smaller massed rider in a pure drag race if they’re both at 5 w/kg because the heavier rider is putting out more raw watts. But there’s also more nuance to sprinting and skills other than power are often in play. Knowing where and when to be, finding an opening, threading a needle, bike handling, lack of fear, etc. When it comes to sprinting, just having a sharp knife doesn’t make you a chef.

·
Old, fat, and slow
784 Posts
It's sort of like lineman versus defensive ends versus running backs and tight ends ... or centers versus guards in basketball. Different physical types are suited for different roles.

·
1,840 Posts
I’m doing a 14 day free trial. Did the fitness assessment. It’s a pretty hard hour. Sprint, 5 minute, 20 minute, and 1 minute power efforts. They also have yoga and strength training vids. Seems fairly comprehensive.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you doing a plan? I’m thinking of general road or maybe the crit. I did 2 yoga vids. Also looking at the strength training stuff.
Not yet as warm weather is here and I hit the road outside. I bounce around within their videos to workout in winter months but no real plan. I do work on my weaknesses as indicated by Sufferfest and do the rides that assist in that.

·
1,840 Posts
^ For the last two years I’ve been doing ramp tests in TrainerRoad, or the occasional 8 minute test. I was looking for some variety.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts