Suggestions for Singlespeed

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by marshall, Aug 8, 2009.

1. marshall

marshall Guest

I am looking for a quality single speed for under $500. Do all city riding.

I know it's a pretty open ended question but looking for general suggestions. Went and rode several but didn't really notice much of a difference between various models.

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Here's a fairly good list of what's available for 2009 with the prices. I would go with something steel. It's a little heavier than aluminium, but more comfortable, especially on longer rides.

If you're good with a wrench, a budget alternative is picking up a used road bike and converting it over to singlespeed. It's not difficult to do and can be done for a fraction of you budget.

3. marshall

marshall Guest

Any other those you advise against?

4. BackBayBrewing

BackBayBrewing New Member

Can't really say there are any on the list that I would advise against... however, I would definitely recommend the Felt which is only a little more expensive than your budget. If you can swing it, I would say that is a great bike. If you were able to save a little more and put a bit more money into it, the Surly Steamroller might be the bike I would most highly recommend on the entire list. That's a sweet bike.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Plus 1 to the Steamroller. I rode one recently and loved the feel and ride of the bike.

6. Blazerwolf

Blazerwolf Guest

This is my 21" Redline Monocog 29er. This hulk has a 32" standover with a wheelbase of 44.5". The Alexrim DH 19 rims are sporting 29 X 2.35 Schwalbe Big Apple ballon tires. Tectro Disc brakes stops this massive machine. This bike is a single speed, geared at 32/16, hard frame, for a big man to push down the road! I started serious bike training about 8 weeks ago on a 6 day training cycle starting at 1 mile a day for six days, a day of rest, six days up a mph. Started my 8th week today! My weight eight weeks ago was 280 lbs. Weighed in this morning at 258 lbs. Goal is to reach 10 miles a day and drop to 240 lbs. Purchased for $450 at LBS added disc brakes for $100 otd at $550 not a bad price for a new 29er.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009