Suggestions on finding an odd-sized seatpost

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by boxhill, Apr 21, 2010.

1. boxhill

boxhill New Member

Hi all,

Recently I got to experience my first real MTB ride on a friend's loaner he'd built up some time ago with a frame and spare parts he had on hand. Since I'm not yet in a position to purchase my own bike, I'm hoping to make some use of this one for the time being—nothing too crazy, just getting some basic skills down before going out and tackling more rough stuff.

The frame is a little on the small side and the 300mm seat post he built it up with isn't quite long enough for me. Unfortunately, the frame accepts a 27.6mm seatpost, which appears to be a rare size.

I think my best bet would be to find a 27.6 with a length of 400mm or more. I know I need to go out and start looking, but I was wondering if you all had any suggestions on where to start and/or what to avoid. I've also seen mention of getting a 27.2 and using a shim—is this practical or more of a really bad idea?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

That's an odd size alright. I did some searching around on the interweb and checked a few sites that I thought might have one, but no luck.

I assume that you have checked at one of the many LBS's that you have access to in Frederick. If not, give them a call:

Bike Doctor 301-620-8868
    The Bicycle Escape 301-663-0007
    Wheelbase 301-663-9288
    Mt. Airy Bicycles 301-831-5151 (Not Frederick, but they have a lot of weird old stuff)

Also post up on MORE & The Bike Site if the local shops can't find/have one.

Seatpost shims are ok if you can find the right size. One of my bikes actually came new with a shimmed post and I never had a problem with it.

Did you go to the FBC dinner last night?

3. boxhill

boxhill New Member

I'll definitely check with the LBSs to see if they can steer me in the right direction!

Sadly I couldn't make it to the FBC dinner, but I did sign up for a family membership to make up for it. I hear they're talking about planning an event in Frederick at some point and I'm not going to miss that one!

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

It was an awesome dinner. Phil really out did himself. The beer was excellent too.

5. boxhill

boxhill New Member

Sweet! I'm definitely sad to have missed it. If they hold an event in Frederick, would you be attending that one?