Sunscreen and Cycling Clothing with SPF

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by IRobot99, Aug 3, 2010.

1. IRobot99

IRobot99 New Member

2. flanderscycling

flanderscycling New Member

I just use sunmilk, factor 40
    Suppose it depends on the UV factor, we don't have that kind of sun in Europe....

Don't see me riding with these things...

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Where are you located out of curiosity?

I dress. I have yet to find a sun screen that works well without getting in my eyes. So I go long sleeves and a hat.

4. flanderscycling

the land of "The Cannibal"

:D:D

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I just use sunscreen, I do use a spray on sunscreen so I get as little of it as possible on my hands. Seems to work well, and I haven't had issues with it in my eyes. I think I use Coppertone, but I am not really sure. My girlfriend usually picks it up for me.

6. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Really don't have the burn problem myself. I tan very very easily. Guess it has something to do with my great grandmother being full blooded Cherokee

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If I was a Muslim, the spamminess of this thread would offend me.

8. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Agreed! But it has sparked some good discussion. I'm changing the thread title to be more indicative of the actual subject.

Also, we have another thread discussing SPF/SPR for clothing. It's here: http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f112/clothing-spf-1177/

With regards to sunscreen for riding, I love the little sunscreen wipes. These are the ones I use: Corotex Products SPF 30 Sunscreen Towelettes - Camping.com They are very convenient to carry in a jersey pocket. Also, the sunscreen feels very light and doesn't leave that sticky feeling. Plus, as a bonus for me, several gas stations along my favorite routes carry them at the counter.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Well Mr.Mod, why don't you shut this thing down?

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

See post 8.

11. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

I keep a can of the spary on waterproof sunscreen in my bag.............with tools, tubes and first aid kit!

I need to post a thread later of my accident I was in!

12. georgec

georgec Member

Sun screen is a must I got way to much sun when I was younger and am paying for it now. Trips to the skin Dr.every three months get old. Not to mention all the places he has cut out and sent off to be checked for shin cancer. Most have been OK some not so good but they have been able to cut them all out. Glad I have insurance would not want to have to pay for all this. Oh and by the way I have dark skin and tan easy as well lot of Indain blood in me also.

13. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

AFTER 68 Years,

I had to start wearing a long sleeve shirt, DAMN IT!

Started getting little spots on my arms and I now have to put a cream the Doctor gave me on twice a day, Damn it!

BUT, if I don't my arm is going to fall off so I guess I will. "DAMN IT"

Look at the ugly shirt I now ware anytime time I am in day light. Damn IT

When I go to the mall or something I change shirts beside the car then again when I start home "DAMN IT"

14. flanderscycling

it must be damn frustrating!!!

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

My Father has had to start doing the same thing. He's had two spots cut off, one cancer.

16. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I use sunscreen a lot too.

Also:
    I, 4 days ago, finished a 6 week regime of radiation and Chemo therapy.
    Never been so ill in my life. It is a question of what will die first, you or the cancer.
    I won...barely.
    A by-product of 37 years of smoking, which I quit 4 years ago, not soon enough, I guess...

Anyhow...I have not a single hair left on my body. Lost my beloved mustache.
    Am extremely sun sensitive right now. I am using running clothes with built in spf 20. Adding spf 50 goo to it also. I am as white as snow right now.

My oncologist told me: to use at least a shot glass worth of sunscreen, on the exposed skin AND the shoulders and neck, even if they are covered with clothes.

I rode my bike and ran through the treatments, except the last week, I was just too sick to ride then.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  17. flanderscycling

Keep up the good work and spirit, Jeepster!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Jeepster, Glad you got through it and can talk about it.

Glad you are still cycling and living.

Take care, you have a friend.

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Congrsats on the recovery Jeepster!

20. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

I've always been of the belief that the so called spf rated clothing is nothing more than a marketing ploy designed to play on the fears of the uneducated public. These companies are more or less stating that if you do not want to use sun screen/block, etc. you should use our spf rated clothing because your own clothing is not enough to keep the harmful cancer causing UVA/UVB rays off of your skin.

I call B.S. on these companies. Pretty much any clothing that is dense enough, even white t-shirts is enough to keep the harmful rays of the sun from possibly causing skin cancer.

I have yet to experience getting a sunburn on an area of covered skin through my clothing when wearing my brown Dickies work t-shirt, denim blue jeans and work boots when mowing my law in the middle of a summer day when the sun is at its most intense. That is usualy between the hours of 11am and 3 pm. When I mow I do use sunblock on the exposed skin, my arms, neck, etc. and wear a hat.

I have also yet to hear about anyone getting a sunburn or skin cancer in an area of their body covered by clothing because the clothing was not spf rated.