Super relaxed bikes

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by HandsomeRyan, Oct 9, 2010.

1. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

So I'm thinking about embracing my inner roadie and picking up a legit road bike. I'm a big guy so it has to be capable of supporting at least 28/30mm tires and since I'm not a racer or club rider I want a comfortable geometry.

My budget is probably about $1500 but I'm okay with spending less.

The current front runner in my search for a new bike is the 2011 Jamis Bossanova.

[​IMG]

520 frame, carbon fork, BB5 discs. Ideally I'd have liked higher end derailleurs and shifters but these can always be upgraded later.

Some other bikes I've considered include:

Raleigh Port Townson

Raleigh Clubman

Novara Verita (see 'road' tab)
    and the Masi Speciale Randonneur

Any other bikes I should look at? I haven't made up my mind between some finer points like compact doubles vs triple cranks and brifters vs bar ends. I need to go test ride some bikes to get an idea of what I really want but I'm trying to make a short list of relaxed geometry bikes that support reasonable tires.

Thanks!

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I took a test ride on a Rajeigh Sojourn comfy ride but the shifting was a little strange to me, and the disc brakes did not stop as good as the ones on my Absolute, allso the one I rode was a 2010 with 32 spoke wheels I think the 2011 will have 36 spoke wheels. Also the brooks saddle was missing had some outher saddle on it. over all I think I will buy a Sourjon but a 2011.
    My .02

3. wild

After looking at the specs of the bikes you mention, I still like the Raleigh Sojourn specs the best. At 1249.99 MSRP and the Brooks saddle, A triple chain ring 50-39-30 and a 9 spd 12-34 cassette I am sold on the 2011 model. :thumbsup: Now to find one at the price I want to spend
    By the way I could of gotten the 2010 with the Brooks saddle for 780+TAX

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  4. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

The Sojurn is nice but probably about 5lbs heavier than I really need. After reading some more reviews I'm leaning more toward the Masi Speciale CX.

I want to see pics if you pick up the Sojurn. If I wanted a full-blooded I'd look seriously at the Kona Sutra too.

5. wild

I don't know about the weight I have seen it listed at 25# and 29#, I can tell you the one I rode did not seam heavyer than my Absolute 1.0 that has disc brakes and goes 24# befor I put all the junk on it. I want disc brakes and a low gear set so that is why I gravetate to the Sojourn. Good luck with the one you choose I am sure you will get a good ride with the one you choose :thumbsup:

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Other than the straight carbon fork (-2) the Jamis looks nice.