Supplements

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by roy, Oct 30, 2009.

1. roy

roy Guest

Any body here use supplements? If so what kind. I'm trying to increase my energy level but I hate that jittery feeling that coffee gives me. I'm also trying to lose weight so if anybody's had any experience with these it would be helpful.

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I use ginseng with royal jelly. It's a ginsoid with a b vitamin complex. Essentially.

3. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

this is what i take...

The Essentials

this is why...

The USANA Difference

I get them shipped to my door from the manufacturer for about $47.

They have been ranked the #1 supplement on the market by a third party comparative guide:
    NutriSearch Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements

NutriSearch Press Release

If you would like some information on how to order let me know.

4. frankzapper

frankzapper Guest

What kind of supplement ingredients should I look to for prolonged energy?

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

vitapimp the first link showed me an error.

For some reason I've always been skeptical of compound supplements as-is being harsh on your kidneys and liver.

6. Mr_T

Mr_T Guest

Closest thing I could find to vitapimp was pimp my protein shake, maybe we should all get together to formulate what should go into vitapimp?

7. roy

roy Guest

I tried that ginseng and I felt all fuzzy. I little to energized. I also Tried a B complex and that helped a little. I tried to look at your link Vitapimp but it's down.

8. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

the links are getting screwed up because the corporate site is using flash on their products page. I don't like it because i can't post a straight link to the product. something i will need to complain about or find out how i can post links.

for now go to www.vitapimp.com -> click on the products link -> then click on Nutritionals -> then click on Essentials in the middle of the page where all the products are listed. I apologize for all the clicking, i need to find a better way to link.

as for the compound supplements being harsh on kidneys and liver, I don't doubt there is validity to that statement. when you look at the way supplements are manufactured it wouldn't surprise you that they possibly damage our body more than they help. a majority of nutrition companies throw a whole bunch of stuff in a bottle, slap a label on it, then sell it to consumers. as long as it doesn't kill people the FDA will allow for the product to be sold. think of baking a cake, too much of one ingredient will make it taste horrible. the amounts and kind of ingredients for the cake need to be correct or else it won't rise and will taste like crap. that is what is happening in the supplement industry and that is why USANA manufacture their own products according to pharmaceutical grade standards.

I don't understand the science behind the products from USANA since i am not a scientist, but I understand the logic. If you give your body what it needs in the right ratios and amounts, it will function properly. The founder of USANA (Dr. Myron Wentz) is a world renowned scientist known for his research in the human cell technology and infectious disease. He is also a recipient of the Albert Einstein award. He truly understands what our cells need in order to function properly. If our cells are working, our organs are working. If our organs are working, our body is working. Knowing what I know about USANA I trust my health to them and not some company who created a product because they know people will buy it.

that is funny, i tell people all the time that we could cut our grass, wash it in the sink, blend it with water, bottle it, give it a name and label, then sell it. As long as it doesn't kill people, the FDA will leave us alone.

Vitapimp.com if all else fails or the corporate site USANA.com!

ginseng is a natural stimulant much like guarana. it will give the same effects as caffeine. if you are not a coffee drinker, go have a triple caramel macchiato from Starbucks and then tell us how you feel. I bet you will be jittery like crazy!

Our body is a complex organism. Depending on what you are feeding it, it will react in a certain way. If you feed your body correctly, it will function correctly. I hear a lot of customers who start on the essentials say the first thing the notice is the amount of energy they have. What I tell them is it really is not energy, it's that they are not feeling sluggish anymore. If you are not feeding your body correctly and you are going, going, going... your body is going to tire out. Most people will resort to energy drinks when they feel this way. when they do that they get on the crash and burn rollar coaster because they are feeding their body lots of sugar and stimulants. The high may last for 2-3 hours, then they crash only to grab another energy drink and start the ride again.

I am not against energy drinks. As a matter of fact I have had my fair share and I have rode that roller coaster many times. A few years ago USANA came out with their Energy drink line named REV3. It is a cleaner, smarter, healthier way to get a quick boost of energy that will last and not lead to the crash and burn effect.

whatever ginseng you took, just take less of it. you might need to experiment with how much works for you so you still get energized but don't get jittery. it would be similar to experimenting with drinking coffee. how many cups can you drink to get energized but not have the gittery feeling, 1 cup, 2 cups, or 3 cups?

as far as vitamins, B vitamins help but remember they need to be in specific amounts and in conjunction with other vitamins in order to be absorbed by the body and actually used.

here is a link to a .pdf that explains the REV3 energy drink: Rev3 surge pack

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  9. Alex Simmons/RST

Alex Simmons/RST Cycling Coach

I find eating a healthy balanced diet is by far the superior means to gain all of the macro and micro nutrients one will ever need.

By and large, for healthy humans, supplements are completely unnecessary. Just eat well. Get enough sleep. And exercise regularly.

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Agreed. If energy and weight loss are concerns, best to look first at what you're consuming.

Most people don't realize what they eat in a day. I usually suggest keeping a food diary for at least three days, including one weekend day, and you'll be able to see pretty quick where to make some changes.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Vitapimp. I consume on average 8-12 shots of espresso daily and I don't feel jittery. I do occasionally break out into tears.That's not the point. What's the toxicity level I should be looking at and is there any way to ween the caffeine addiction through supplements? I know I'm addicted and I have been for about 8 years.

12. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

A USDA survey of 16,000 Americans found not one person obtained 100 percent of essential nutrients such as magnesium, vitamin E, and zinc. Children and adolescents also did not obtain enough essential nutrients such as folate, vitamin C, and magnesium.

The above was from: USDA Nutrition Assistance Program Report Series CN-01-CDI

It is recommended that we eat 400 Iu (international units) of Vitamin E every day. In order to obtain it from our foods we would need to eat 3.5 lbs of wheat germ, or 2.3 lbs of almonds, or 28.8 lbs of spinach, or 3.6 cups of safflower oil. It is impossible for anyone to get the recommended amounts from their foods everyday. Eating would be a full time job. That is why nearly two-thirds of American adults use supplements.

I agree that the first life style change people need to make is to chose better foods. Second is to get on a high quality supplement. I have only met one person in my life who eats 5-7 times a day, mostly vegetables and grains, some meats and she still takes vitamins from. She is a nurse and a personal trainer and is one of the fittest persons I know. You can't tell me that her taking vitamins is unnecessary.

Science and research surveys have proved that just eating is not enough. If you believe that, you really need to do some research.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I work on the if it taste good eat it in moderation. I say that but I over consume constantly. As I get older I crave quantity. Weird right?

14. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

And yet, they're still able to function normally...

You still do not need supplements until you determine what you're eating. And even then, you'll need to determine if there's a deficiency causing issues.

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I think it's an argument based on personnel observation on an individual basis. Do Vitamins work? You have to ask yourself that. I've read studies in both directions.

16. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

WOW, 8 shots of espresso a day, that is a lot. the reason you don't feel jittery is because your body is used to the caffeine. however, when you don't consume caffeine your body reacts from the loss and you probably get headaches. I have never heard of a toxicity level regarding caffeine.

I have not heard of a way to ween yourself off of caffeine through supplements. You would probably need to cut back slowly much like smoking and also find a substitute for the drinking habit. Caffeine is very addictive and has side effects when a person chooses to stop consuming it. It wouldn't take long for your body to not crave it anymore, but it will be something that takes a commitment, again, much like quitting smoking.

There was a 15 day challenge that some employees at the USANA corporate office did a while back which was to trade their favorite caffeine drink for the REV3 I spoke about earlier. I'll try and find a link to the blog. If you want to try the drink for a couple of days I'll be happy to send you some packets. I'd be interested to see your results. Let me know, send me a PM.

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

18. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

when you speak of deficiency issues you are talking about problems like scurvy, rickets, or beriberi. those are vitamin deficient disease that people have not died from since the 19040's when the RDA values were established. I agree with you that people are not vitamin deficient, well, at least in our part of the world.

however, today people are dying of degenerative disease. Cardiovascular disease, cancer, stroke, respiratory disease, diabetes, etc. There is a lot of medical information that shows higher levels of vitamins and minerals can REDUCE (not cure) the risks if these kinds of diseases. To avoid vitamin deficient disease, the disease you speak of, people only need minimum nutrition. To help with degenerative disease people need optimum nutrition.

What kind of nutrition do you want for your body, minimum or optimum?

Most studies are of retail vitamins that don't even dissolve in our systems. How can a product work if it is never used by our body? There are products out there that don't even dissolve one bit to where you can still read the name on the pill when it comes out the other end.

That is why USANA does what they do. They put their money where their mouth is. Pharmaceutical grade nutrition that is completely bioavailable (meaning it is absorbed by the body).

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Preaching to the Choir on that one. I use certain herbs in enteric for and what not in order to affect solubility and get it to where I need it. Peppermint oil for instance.