Supplier for single speed frame parts?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by BigDumbBear, Sep 3, 2009.

1. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

I want to build my own single-speed/fixed gear/track bike... Whatever you wanna call it. I am looking for an integrated headset and mid-bottom bracket like they use on BMX bikes. Beyond that, I'm not too picky. I think it'd be awesome to build my own frame and would appreciate any help.

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I'm not sure that I understand your question. Do you actually want to build a singlespeed frame? If so, that's not something that you are going to be able to learn on a bike forum. You'll need to go to school for that.

If you are just looking for parts to build up a frame, there are tons on on line vendors that can supply those parts as well as your LBS. It does seem that most bike shops don't carry a lot of singlespeed specific components, so if you go that route, you may have to have them order your stuff.

Why are you looking for an integrated headset? Do you already have a frame that you want to build up that requires one? If not, I would avoid them. Here's some good info on them from Chris King:
    http://chrisking.com/files/pdfs/Int20HeadsetsExplained.pdf

Just curious, why do you want to use a BMX bottom bracket?

3. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

I ride BMX, and any other bike I can get on, and I really like the looks and strength of the bmx parts. I am wanting to basicly get the tubing used for a BMX bike and build up a single speed frame from that. I like the looks of the integrated headset and I already have an extra crank to fit a mid-BB. It was just a thought I've had. I looked online and didn't have much luck coming up with the exact pieces I needed. FBM(a bmx company) offered to send me a kit of stuff but did warn me it was going to be quite costly if they had to do all the cutting of the tubes and the angles and such. I will likely get them or someone else to make me a custom frame when I can let loose of that money easier.

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

You might want to consider an internal headset rather than an integrated headset. They are very similar in look and stack height. The advantage of the internal headset is that the cups are replaceable.

Good luck with your project!