Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the bike shop today and took about an hour or so looking at the bikes and talking with the owner. I went with the intention of buying a LHT or a pacer. I had a chance to out the LHT and also a cyclo cross. I actually liked the cyclo cross, but I also liked the look of the Pacer.

Which do I choose?

Here's my situation. I'm only going to do any serious riding once a week. In summer I may go somewhere overnight. I will only ride on roads. I live on the coast and it's not all that hilly but if I go inland, which I intend to do, I can basically be going uphill for an hour, maybe two. Not super steep hills but long. I want to hit these hills with momentum rather than struggle up them in a low gear, furiously peddling but really getting nowhere.

As for the bikes themselves aesthetically I don't really care for the color of either. The way to change gears on the Cyclo Cross is new to me while the Pacer is similar to my present bike. The Pacer is more expensive than the Cyclo Cross.

I only intend to buy a frame and have the shop build it up for me. With this in mind what should I ask for. I'm taking the seat off my old bike and adding an extra set of brakes on the drop handle bars.

I am happy to admit I'm a novice here and would really appreciate some experienced advice. Please go easy of the terminology as it really will bamboozle me. I really need you advice as I'm living in a foreign country and am unable to speak the language sufficently to discuss the intricacies of buying a suitable bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is something for you to decide on the why you ride and what you are trying to do. I would try and ride one of each. For my type of riding I like the cyclo cross.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what I don't want, at least to a certain extent.

Sorry, but I'm just a beginner looking for a headsup. I've been reading review after review and I am genuinely at a loss with the terminology.

Yes, I want a custom bike and I know some of the things I want. But some of the reviews talk about, for example, the Surly brakes not being that great. I was hoping that, as a beginner buying a frame, someone could suggest what might be good and I could discuss it with the guy who will built my bike.

I also know that the two bikes are different, one is a road bike and one is cycle cross. What I don't know is how much of a difference, if any, that will make to a novice like me.

I'm sure my questions are pretty basic and even stupid but I have to start somewhere.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts