Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Back Row
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please move this thread if it has been placed in the wrong section.

I finally ordered myself a set of Tiagra 4503 shifters to replace my current Soras on my Trek 1.2. It will be great to be able to shift when in the drops! :love:

My only issue is that I'm a newb when it comes to bicycle mechanics and would love to learn how to do this job myself. I know how to loosen the shifter to move them up or down on the handlebar. Is this the same screw to remove them completely? What about the cables? Is this a job for the pros?

Do you guys have any reference articles you can point me to?

Thanks!
synack

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I changed the title of your thread to see if that gets a bit more attention from the road cycling members, since I'm more of a single speed, MTB, BMX guy.

To answer your question, yes, there should be one screw that you loosen to move or remove them. While replacing the shifters isn't a huge deal, it does require attention to detail, and some patience. But you can probably do it yourself. Worst case, you'll ruin some cable and housing, then have to pay someone.

If you haven't already discovered the Park Tools website or Sheldon Brown, I would head to either of those places first. The only reason I'm not linking directly to an article (besides laziness ;) ) is that you should get a feel for navigating those sites if you want to do your own work. Let us know if you run into any issues - it's not rocket science. Heck, even Funetical could probably do it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Its all about patience.....I have toyed with my bikes in the past and the worse case scenario is that you end up paying a mechanic to install something. What you don't want to do is break something. As long as you take your time, you can learn a lot on your own. You might even be surprised what you can do. Hack gave you some great leads already. I swear by the Park Tools website, and have done many projects based on Sheldon Brown's website.

·
The Back Row
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I did it! I love the new shifters. Just took them out for a 42 mile ride. :D

If anyone would like directions, I can try to do a writeup.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just a piece of advise from experience. When you get Po'd walk away. Often its a little thing that you normally would catch, but when frustrated you miss it. That's when I find I am most likely to make a mistake that gets expensive. It also can have you doing something really simple backwards. I was recently adjusting a rear derailleur and methodically working the limit screw a quarter turn at a time. I had changed a number of different things so when things didn't work as they should, I began to question myself. Is this compatible? Why isn't this working? Is there something I should have done? Finally got aggravated and lost the motivation to tinker further and took it to the LBS. The kid at the bike shop took one look at it and in 5 mins it was fixed and I realized why it wasn't working. I had been turning the screw quarter turn at a time in the wrong direction. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts