Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Summer is coming and it is the time to lose weight every year for me. :(
In the past years, I prefer to swim. But this year, some friends suggest me to go cycling. It seems cool. But will cycling help with losing weight? What parts of body will it affect, legs?

I would like to buy the cycling wear. Where do you suggest? I found some websites on the websites. But the prices are so different. It is so cheap at this website and it provides free shipping, Wholesale Cycling Clothing - Dropship Cycling Clothing Distributor - Discount Cycling Clothing Supplier from China Online Shop - Free Shipping. Has anyone bought from it? What shoes are required, normal sports shoes? Can you suggest a website?

Any suggestions are appreciate. :love:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Why choose Betty?? Doing both can help work different parts of the body. Cycling gear makes the ride more comfortable, but it does tend to be cut tight. Might consider getting one outfit locally before online to get a better idea of the sizes you might need unless you are comfortable sending it back. Fabric flapping around adds to the wind resistance and can just be annoying. Yes you will work the legs, but the balance will work more than you expect otherwise. Its a good low impact aerobic exercise.

Shoes are a little tougher to answer. Do you have a bike already? Many bikes have pedals on them call platform or flats. It is just a flat place to put your foot to pedal. They have been around since the beginning of the bike, but not the most efficient way to pedal. They don't require special shoes, but shoes with a stiff sole transfer the power more effectively. More advanced pedals have a way where the shoe actually attaches to the pedal. This system requires a cycling shoe that has a place in the sole of the shoe to mount what is going to attach to the pedal of the bike. Road bike shoes have an extremely stiff sole, where mountain bike shoes tend to be far less stiff, but far more comfortable to walk around in when you are not riding.

Alternating between the two for you may work well. Have you picked out a bike yet?? Don't be shy about asking questions here. There is a ton of experience here willing to help. Some are causal riders, some are writers, some ride so much they don't even own a car. If you are having a problem, the odds are someone here has been there done that and most likely willing to help. If they can't, you will not be made fun of in any way. Dean and the moderators do a great job of simply not tolerating that kind of thing here. Welcome

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. Yes. I have a bike, which was from one of my friends.
According your info, I think my Nike shoes are enough.
I will try my first cycling with my friend this coming weekend.
I will try first with my normal sport clothes and check if I need to buy the special cycling clothes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Let me say that lately I've rarely been hitting that number of late. But if you ride 6 days a week, that's 10 miles a day. Even better if you can mix in a bit of a longer distance. If you're not used to cycling, try 5 miles a day at first. That's how I started out.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Ha I lost a good 80 pounds with a combo of cycling and walking. Mostly in my gut and backside LOL. But yeah it's a great way to loose weight and tone up. I took it slow did a couple miles regularly built myself up to where 15 miles is pretty easy for me. As said have fun with it. Me on thing I found I never checked my weight on a scale just went by pants size and the fact that the lighter I got the faster I am getting :D Enjoy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I lost 65 pounds by riding my bicycle. It works, provided you ride it enough. I usually lose weight if I ride over 60 miles a week, but we're all different, so you may need to ride more or less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I lost 65 pounds by riding my bicycle. It works, provided you ride it enough. I usually lose weight if I ride over 60 miles a week, but we're all different, so you may need to ride more or less.
60 miles...:eek:

It seems too much for me...

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
60 miles...:eek:

It seems too much for me...

At first it will seem that way but trust me once you ride enough it won't seem all that much get yourself a cycling computer to best way to track your progress you will be surprised. Good luck have fun

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started riding because I really enjoy it, the health benefits are good too though. I'm a big guy so it's easier on the joints than running you get a little adrenaline pumping and you don't have to be in a fishbowl all day. The days get hot here but when you're starting off just go out and have fun exploring at a lower speed. When you are feeling like you don't want to be out anymore, head home. If you really wear yourself out early it's harder to get back on, but if you end while you're more comfortable and enjoying it then it's usually easier and more fun to ride again. Also, if you set yourself little goals like climbing a hill you haven't climbed or didn't think you could climb that helps the sense of accomplishment as well.

Hope you have fun. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts