Tallahassee – St. Mark’s Trail – Florida

Discussion in 'Trail & Ride Reports' started by LarryM, Mar 12, 2012.

1. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Tallahassee – St. Mark’s Trail – Florida

A 19 mi Rail Trail running through part of the Apalachicola National Forest

The main access point for the Tallahassee-St. Marks Trail is located on S.R. 363, just south of Tallahassee, 3 miles south of the actual northern terminus. Several MTB trails originate at the main access point.

Nice 12 ft freshly paved trail. There were restrooms at a couple points along the trail.

I enjoyed the scenery along the way. But of course, us Yankees are easily impressed by huge Live Oaks covered in Spanish Moss. The trail ends at a marina at the confluence of the St. Marks and Wakulla Rivers.

There are several eating spots in St Marks at the south end of the trail, but no one was eating in them. You should always avoid eating at places that do not have local traffic, We headed to the really crowded place. Savannah’s Country Buffet is a little place near the trail midpoint and just east of it at Bloxham Cutoff Rd and Woodville Hwy. Skip the buffet and ask for the BBQ Pork sandwich. Here is the location:
    [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=st+marks,+fl&hl=en&ll=30.230001,-84.227757&spn=0.020579,0.033088&sll=41.506146,-87.6356&sspn=0.142695,0.264702&hnear=St+Marks,+Wakulla,+Florida&t=h&z=15&lci=bike"]http://maps.google.com/maps?q=st+marks,+fl&hl=en&ll=30.230001,-84.227757&spn=0.020579,0.033088&sll=41.506146,-87.6356&sspn=0.142695,0.264702&hnear=St+Marks,+Wakulla,+Florida&t=h&z=15&lci=bike[/ame]

Attached Files:

2. Charles R

Charles R Paved Trail Enthusiast

Nice info and photos Larry. I'll be biking this soon. Was there any part of the trail that went through bad areas/neighborhoods? That is my biggest concern when biking new trails. Thanks.

3. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Hi Charles,

We started at the main trail head on 363 just south of 319. From there to the south end in St. marks was fine.

I cannot address conditions the 3 or 4 miles north of the main trail head towards Tallahassee.

It is a nice trail. I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride.

4. Charles R

Thanks for getting back and the info Larry. I'll be staying in Crawfordville so I'll start my ride at St. Marks if the trailhead is in a safe area. Anything close to a big city sends up red flags for me with crime, etc. Stay safe.

5. Charles R

My research has uncovered that this trail ends north at Gamble Street. Several bloggers suggested this is a bad area. Also info I received from a local bike group said most do not go north of Capital Circle. I Google map the trails and take notes first before I travel. This sounds and looks like a really nice trail.