Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to talk my wife into a tandem for the limestone trails - 1-2 days per week we ride the trails due to time considerations instead of driving to our favorite paved trails - WE ALWAYS ride together so I thought it would be easier to talk, not have to worry if one or the other is keeping up - two people to balance the bike at a stop - etc - what are your thoughts ?

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw one today - I also like the dual clip pedals - pedal on one side - clip on the other - this makes a TON of sense at a crossings where you could just pedal - get across - get going & flip & clip

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Try this:

Put a blindfold on your wife, and take her for a ride in the car over the roughest section of road you can find. Try to remember to call out each bump with enough time for her to react. That's what a tandem is like.

If you are not terribly well matched, you will end up doing more work, or you will take it easy while she works harder. At most stops, my wife never unclipped, but I did. It's a lot more work at first, but worth it if you can find the right pace. And a good tandem team can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.

My advice would be to rent or borrow before you buy though.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are REALLY a good team - if I have to work harder if she gets tired I don't mind as long as I don't have to wait for her - I think being able to communicate while riding would be a plus - we will definitely rent one first - maybe next weekend when we are in Florida

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
If you are not at the same fitness level, you can try setting the timing out of phase. I have seen 180 out, so that the power stroke is continuous, or just a little out, so she hits her down stroke as you are nearing the bottom of yours. At least, I think that's what it was. And you might even let her captain once. My wife had a new-found appreciation for what it took to wrestle that bike off road after she piloted us home the day we broke the timing chain.

·
73 Posts
Try this:

Put a blindfold on your wife, and take her for a ride in the car over the roughest section of road you can find. Try to remember to call out each bump with enough time for her to react. That's what a tandem is like.
Hahahaha that brings back memories. Early on during the "90's" the owner of our LBS had a Cannondale Mtb Tandem we used to ride off road together. The Bas#@$d would never call out when logs etc were coming so me being the
co-pilot was literally a pain in the ass :)

The other things we found difficult were that I was a spinner and he a masher, he liked to descend right foot forward while I preferred left foot forward. Guess who had to adapt :rolleyes: That's right, ME.

Still, that was a cool experience to have from all those years ago :thumbsup:

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been thinking & studying on my tandem thoughts - the tandem was meant for our limestone trail rides - unfortunately the cost of what I want it prohibitive - a light flat bar road bike/hybrid - instead I can get a couple of light aluminum frame - carbon fork flat bar hybrid 700x32c tires for $750 a piece in a brand i like as opposed to our 10 year old heavy steel hybrids - once you have a light carbon road bike it is so much fun that going back to heavy just isn't as much fun

Attachments

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys - what are your thoughts on BikeDirect & Motobecane -- i know I have seen it here somewhere but I can't find it ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts