Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a trail just to avoid this problem. They're fixing cracks in the asphalt trail with hot tar. On the way out I dismount because the truck is taking the whole 10 ft wide trail. On the way in, heck, I can negotiate the 8 in. next to a real soft shoulder, right?
Pass the truck, ride over fresh tar and then lose the road and both tires are covered in tar and dirt and rocks and , ugh!!
It's like i was tarred and feathered!! Anyone have any ideas on what I can do short of buying 2 new tires? Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I can only suggest 'Simple Green" and elbow grease. Then a good rinsing. Good luck.

·
Registered
870 Posts
1. WD40 to clean the tar off of what ever it is stuck to.
2. Simple Green and clean water to wash your entire bike. It probably needs it anyway and by the time you get done with the WD40 it will need it because of over spray.
3. Put bike on your external bike rack and drive at least 10 miles on a highway or freeway to dry the bike.
4. Re-lube with your preferred lubricant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WD did the trick. Used a scraper, gingerly, and the tar came right off. Going to get some Simple Green and wash the tires with that.
If the WD didn't work, Goo-Gone was next.
If WD-40 is a solvent and not a lubricant, can anyone recommend a good aerosol lubricant? Thanks for all the help.

·
Two skinny J's
21,436 Posts
Kerosene for heavy duty removal :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
WD did the trick. Used a scraper, gingerly, and the tar came right off. Going to get some Simple Green and wash the tires with that.
If WD-40 is a solvent and not a lubricant, can anyone recommend a good aerosol lubricant? Thanks for all the help.
Giant brand Liquid Silk.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use Finish Line Wax Lubricant, in a drip bottle. The LBS that I go to most often carries and also recommends GT-85. But if you're worried at all about the environment than a drip or pump bottle is the better way to go.

Also just a little trivia but WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement formula number 40." What I'd like to know is what happened with formula's 1 - 39?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts