TDF athletes

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Germanrazor, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

The team even admitted they could not get a good location further out for the handoff. They are to blame as stated by rola643, rules are rules, otherwise why have them.

I don’t think Yates wanted the jersey this way either so it has to be somewhat of a issue with him too. But I don’t think Julian would have kept it many more days anyway and definitely not into Paris. But yes, that is a rule that should be rescinded.

Hey, we have two more weeks to watch the show!

Dos_Ruedas, fpl1 and rola643 like this.
  2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Kind of catching back up. Been gone for a couple of days. The last 2 stages have been some of the best racing i've seen in a while.

Gota say I'm impressed with your pick @fpl1, not that you need a graphic to go along with it bit it always looks better in "print"
    Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 6.27.03 AM.png

fpl1 likes this.

3. Germanrazor

JA fell way back I see. I knew he would not be at the front too long. I still say Yates did not want the yellow in that manner but I am not sure how much longer he will retain it to be honest. Roglic may take over soon but Bardet would be whom I see in yellow in the end.

rola643 and fpl1 like this.
  4. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

The tour has been good so far. New contenders for both yellow and green and overall some exciting racing. It’s shaping up to be a great 2 weeks.

rola643 and Germanrazor like this.
  5. Germanrazor

Currently watching Stage 9 and that pesky rain is back! Makes for some dicey downhill for sure.

fpl1 likes this.
  6. rola643

Not so much the athletes but an interesting mix of disc vs rim brake bike I've noticed so far this year.

fpl1 and Germanrazor like this.
  7. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Thibault Pinot is the Teejay Van Garderen of France .... everyone has such high hopes and puts so much pressure on him ....

fpl1 and rola643 like this.
  8. maelochs

Glad you mentioned that. I thought Monday was a rest day. I saved Sunday's stage to watch Monday .... if not for you mentioning this, I would have fallen two stages behind.

fpl1 and Germanrazor like this.
  9. Germanrazor

I guess I am as OCD as you possibly on that aspect. I too watch to see how many pro bikes are still equipped with good ole rim brakes...LOL

They eluded during the first stage or two that they wondered if the reason for a few apparent stopping issues were due to disc brakes failing I guess from riding them so much...who knows.

I just know I still ride rim brakes and love them. Easy to maintain and change out......bleeding hydraulics, NOT SO MUCH!

John_V and rola643 like this.
  10. fpl1

Never thought of it that way but you are right I think.

11. fpl1

I love the race so far. So glad we are getting to watch it this year.

France is so beautiful and the story lines are compelling regardless of the situation.

rola643 likes this.
  12. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    John_V, fpl1 and rola643 like this.
  13. maelochs

This year's race is one of the best I have seen. Not a boring stage so far ... well .... even the one slow stage had a great finish. Usually the first two weeks are half stages I barely watch .... breakaway, catch break, sprint, repeat .... a real test for the commentators.

This year hasn't been great for the super-sprinters, but everyone else has had to ride in pretty much every stage. And event he dull stage was more of a rolling rest day which made the rest of the race tolerable for the riders.

Maybe I am losing my edge as I age, but I just can't find much to complain about this year.

John_V, fpl1 and rola643 like this.
  14. Germanrazor

Well several stages left and unlike in years past, this is still up for grabs given a bad day by the leader. Even years past it was up for grabs so to say but there is really some great racing with some small times between the leaders.

I have realized a few things this year with the race, seems Sagan has lost his edge to out sprint others but he is 30! I think too the recent years climbers are not as effective this year as in the past.

I love this sport for sure and the tactics and game plans each day. Bora’s game plan yesterday seemed to go for bust but was impressive at first to try and totally crack Bennett.

maelochs likes this.
  15. rola643

Winner to a quitter- I can't compete so I'll quit, sorry it's how it feels to me regardless of what is said. Getting his ass handed to him. Guess I'm a little harsh :D I was not brought up to quit on something I start.

EGAN BERNAL HAS WITHDRAWN FROM THE TOUR DE FRANCE AHEAD OF STAGE 17.

The 23 year old will now focus on his recovery from the Tour, and reset his goals for the remainder of the season.
    INEOS Grenadiers Team Principal Sir Dave Brailsford said: “We have taken this decision with Egan’s best interests at heart. Egan is a true champion who loves to race, but he is also a young rider, with many Tours ahead of him and at this point, on balance, we feel it is wiser for him to stop racing.”
    Egan Bernal said: “This is obviously not how I wanted my Tour de France to end, but I agree that it is the right decision for me in the circumstances. I have the greatest respect for this race and I am already looking forward to coming back in the years ahead.”

https://www.ineosgrenadiers.com/art...sxJWqTCV4o5XuVBa5ghsgwmOWoaaXfcDxCI7d7BzGRTkM

fpl1 and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  16. Germanrazor

It’s that millennial attitude no matter the country to a degree. My trophy, if not, I am out of here and will take my kick ball with me!

I too am old school and not brought up this way. If I had done this in baseball, which is what I played growing up, my dad would have tore a knot in my arse!

Oh well, the TDF is better off without the crying and pouting by him!

17. Merlincustom

Bernal has nothing to gain by staying in. He's nursing a back injury, on top of maybe not having the best form, although he did say that his numbers recently were as good as they've been. He also said something to the effect of not knowing what the other guys were doing, maybe a veiled allegation? It's been a strange year for the pros. He was in Colombia for awhile under lockdown, maybe undertrained, hard to tell. The Tour isn't like some Gran Fondo that you just tough out to get a participation trophy. Makes no sense for him to continue. He's better off recovering and not trashing himself. It's a job. His job was to ride for GC. Since he can't, job over. Pros don't need brownie points.

fpl1 likes this.
  18. Germanrazor

To a degree I would agree but overall no! If football or even baseball was played this way then the critics galore would hound you until the ends of the earth.

Certain injuries yes, you pull out. But if your back is just aching a bit fro being in the saddle let me get my worlds smallest violin player to lay a tune fo you.

fpl1 likes this.
  19. Merlincustom

How does Bernal or the team benefit by him staying in?

20. Germanrazor

There are other riders hurting but still in it for the team and fans. That’s how. It’s simple, I have not met many pro athletes that do not have on-going pain and issues they play through because it is life.

Hey, if he broke a bone or dislocated a joint I would understand. But you won’t win me over in this debate. Likewise, I won’t win you over and I am not trying. I made a statement like some other people here on our feelings.

You have your belief and we have ours. We shall agree to disagree my friend......

fpl1 likes this.