TDF Predictions

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Xela, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I know it's a little late, but with Ventoux coming up tomorrow ( :) ), share your thoughts on the winner tomorrow and the overall podium. It's hard to imagine Contador not winning tomorrow, and nearly impossible for him to lose it all, so those are my picks for tomorrow and Sunday.

As far as the rest of the overall podium, I think the top two will remain the same with AC and A. Schleck, but I'm a little worried that Wiggins will take third from LA tomorrow.

Have a great weekend all!

2. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

I hoping for Lance to put Contador back in his place and win it all. That seems unlikely at this point. Contador has put on a good show, but done it in a poor manner.

3. Sean

Sean New Member

Nobody puts over 4 min on the field and wins the individual TT without being the strongest rider, that is what Contador is. My prediction on Ventoux, and OA:

Contador
    A. Schleck
    Third is the rough one. I think either Frank Schleck or Armstrong. I do not think Wiggins can hang with those four. Remember Frank paced his brother up the big climbs several days ago, he is a top level climber.

If it does go to F. Schleck, that means Contador, A Schleck and F. Schleck will have to drop Armstrong by 30+ seconds. That is totally doable on this mountain. I hope LA gets third, but he is not in peak condition, and he is a bit older than the others (10+ yrs).

Whatever happens it will be a great stage.

4. Sean

Sean New Member

There is no other place Armstrong would like to win than Ventoux. I don't think he has a chance, but, he does pull some surprises. "I've got some unfinished business there."

5. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I would love to see Armstrong win it. It would be a testament to shear willpower. As mentioned he is not in top shape and is much older but to win would show many that it isn't all just about the conditioning it also comes to how bad you want it.

With the recent news about the Radioshack endorsement I see it as Armstrong has already gave up on winning this year and will be back next year better prepared to win.

I think it will be Contador, Schleck A, then Armstrong. I would say Wiggins will not pass Armstrong but F, Schleck will ride with his brother. It will keep Andy ahead of LA and bring Frank in ahead of Wiggins. But they won't be far enough ahead to help Frank beat Lance.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Glad to see I was wrong about LA losing the podium. The man is AMAZING!

7. Sean

Sean New Member

Look out for Wiggins next year, I think. Paul and Phil say he lost 15 pounds for this race. At the weight those guys are, that shows a huge resolve. Sounds like someone wants to win the TdF.

Edit: nice article: Velonews

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  8. Grape Ape

I was almost right about about Frank riding with Andy and getting around Wiggins. 3 seconds has to be the kind of things nightmares are made of. Just think the next month or so are going to be spent wondering where he could have done better to have the 3 seconds back at the end.

9. Sean

Sean New Member

Yea, You were very close. Frank played the domestique in this race, there is no way to do that and perform at your top level. Luckily they are both young men, and will have many chances to retest.

10. Grape Ape

Quick question, why doesn't the final stage count towards the race? Everything I see shows the final times are from Stage 20.

11. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

The final stage in mostly a victory lap and there is the understanding that the podium positions won't be challenged for the GC positions. They do however keep challenging the sprint points and such.

12. Grape Ape

Thanks, I learn something new every day whether I want to or not.

13. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

At least this was one of the easy lessons