Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Don't Call Me Shirley
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm new to distance riding, or what I call distance anyway. I started cycling a few weeks ago, and have been slowly increasing my distance and pace with each ride. I normally do 5 to 8 mile rides, with the occasional leisurely 12 miler on a nice evening.

Anyway, I started using RunKeeper for my last two rides, having used both Strava and MapMyRide previously. I like the autopause feature when I stop, although I try not to rest unless I really need it.

Tonight I felt like a new person. I did my normal route down a familiar trail, roughly 5.5 miles to and from my house. But when I returned, I felt like I had more! I did the route again, without slowing my pace. The app told me I was around 7 miles in, averaging about 15 mph. Not bad for me, and at that distance, it was a personal best. When I got done with my second leg, I pushed harder, and did a third! I felt great, and I've never done this distance at that speed.

Finally, on my way back home, I turned down another long flat road, just to push one last time, maybe only 1 mile out of the way, but I couldn't resist. When I finally returned home, I was so anxious to see my new personal record, show it to my wife (she wouldn't care), post it to Facebook (they wouldn't either).

I took my phone out of the bag, looked down... The app crashed! It only saved my first 8 miles! It missed my entire third trail ride, and my short detour!

Silver lining is that I did indeed beat my personal best pace, at 16.48 mph, but unfortunately my stats are not accurate. My best guess is I did about 15 miles at maybe 14 or 15 mph.

Here's all that remains of what could have been a great motivator and a bit of an ego booster. I'll get em next time!

image-2652538144.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
I second that. Who needs stats when you can feel the results in your legs and know it in your heart?! Congrats on your excellent ride. :thumbsup:

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,146 Posts
SO frustrating to lose mileage like that! Hack's ultimately right - the important thing is that you rode it - but having a record is awfully nice. My smartphone, running a different app, blows mileage infrequently, but over and over. I still use it for the ease of use/posting when it (usually) works, but also roll with a Garmin GPS for backup and live maps/tracking. It has yet to malfunction, but takes more effort to export your ride data.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I like checking out the route I just walked with Map My Walk. The GPS can't indicate a straight line at walking speeds, so it's all jagged, and looks like I was drunk. But I can feel it in my legs.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
And so yet another addiction has begun! That's how so many addictions start right? Just a little more and I'll feel better ! Enjoy your new drug of choice :) Way to push and test your limits!!
I use that app a lot when I walk my dog and between it stooping and losing data I've lost faith in it. I think part of it is my phone to be honest

·
Don't Call Me Shirley
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm still pumped about the ride, it felt good.

It just sucks not to have accurate data, so I know how I'm doing. I like to set goals and track my progress over time.

·
Registered
9,935 Posts
cdubbaya said:
Yeah I'm still pumped about the ride, it felt good.

It just sucks not to have accurate data, so I know how I'm doing. I like to set goals and track my progress over time.
Sounds like you are already addicted. There's a cycling rehab for this but I've never known anyone that has gone. The next thing that will happen is you will miss a day or two of riding and your legs will start to twitch. Don't worry, it happens to all of us. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
It is easy to get into your numbers to constantly push yourself. I personally think it is fun and interesting to look back and see how I have grown.

Cycling is an addiction, adrenaline, is an addiction, even the leg pain.

Oh, and congrats on your PB.

·
Don't Call Me Shirley
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you are already addicted. There's a cycling rehab for this but I've never known anyone that has gone. The next thing that will happen is you will miss a day or two of riding and your legs will start to twitch. Don't worry, it happens to all of us. ;)
Yeah with the weather as nice as it's been, it's hard to stay inside. I'm going to try for a 20 mile ride this weekend, supposed to be around 80 degrees in Minneapolis.

I definitely feel it today. I'm nowhere near in good enough shape yet, but I suppose that comes in time. I'm about 10 years removed from being in peak performance shape when I played basketball and baseball year round.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts