Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call early Saturday morning (4/28) from my mother informing me that my father had unexpectedly passed away in the night. This is was absolutely the most devastating news I've ever received because the man was only 55, basically healthy, and I'd just had a nice conversation with him on the phone Friday morning. I can't remember the medical term for cause of death but basically his heart failed in his sleep due to a weakening from chronic stress on the heart muscles.

I didn't post this to garner sympathy for myself but rather as a reminder to all of you to never miss an opportunity to tell your parents, siblings, children, or whoever you are close to how much you love them and how you appreciate all they have done to make your life what it is. The only thing more awkward than having that conversation is the sadness of not being able to.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I got a similar call from my brother in 2008. My dad had a heart attack, and was in a coma. I caught the first flight to SoCal, and sat by his bedside for three days, retelling all the jokes we had shared over the years. We had spoken two days earlier, but I had asked him for advice, rather than just to chat. Now I wish I had made more time to just chat.

You don't realize how truly awesome someone is until they're gone - that was my dad. I know you didn't ask for sympathy, but you have mine anyway. The best thing I found is to try to be more like him in everything I do.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yep, there's no promise of a tomorrow.

My dad was diagnosed with an aggressive form of Leukemia 14 years ago with less than a 20% chance of survival. I was most grateful that mom and I had a week to spend with him to say our goodbyes. One of the most stressful weeks of my life, but I'm glad the opportunity was given it.

It kinda sounds like something you would see on one of the cheesy motivational posters, but do let those you love and care about know. One day you might not have the chance.

Sorry for your loss Ryan.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,204 Posts
My paternal grandfather went several decades back when a $0.25 part failed...in the engine of his small plane, in flight, at night. Engine died, you can guess the rest. I was just a kid but still wish I'd been able to get one last visit or conversaton in. It's rough losing people 'out of nowhere' but it happens...great advice to say what needs to be said now, today, while you can. You never know. My sympathies to all who've been through this kind of loss :-(

·
889 Posts
Condolences to you and your family and, thank you for the remind that life is so precious.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Thanks Ryan, for your wise words. The death of a parent is tough especially when they go before their time. 55 is too young. Be strong. He lives in your heart.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Wow, that is excellent advice and gives one pause. 20 years ago I talked my parents into moving from Texas to Washington state. I worried about losing Dad at any moment due to his diagnosed aneurism. I have spent almost every Saturday since, treating them to breakfast, talking with them, and helping them around the house. He is now in his 80s, kicking butt and taking names. Life is good.

Two of my brothers live close, give them some time but mostly things. One helped them buy their home. The other does tv's, cell phones and the like.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Sobering post at a time when so many other things can seem to matter, but in reality don't.

Sorry for your loss, hang on to those memories!

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
Sorry for your loss Ryan.
You and your family are in my prayers.
Thank you for the wise words. I'll be calling Mom & Pop and siblings as I go through the day. I believe a few will be surprised...sad to say.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,556 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Nothing will ever feel normal again...you just have to find and accept the new normal.

This song was my final goodbye to my mother. I had it played at her memorial service.

[ame]http://youtu.be/rdG618TMc5E[/ame]

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCvgXw-Bh04&ob=av2e[/ame]

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ryan, I am sorry about your loss. For sure, the coming days and weeks will be hard for you and your family. You will find peace in God's presence in your life and the memories will last forever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts