Test Ride

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Mike1jw, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

What can I expect from a bike shop if I ask to test ride a bike. I didn't know bike shops would even do this. But I'm reading that you should do this before buying a new bike.

How long of a test ride should you ask for? Something around the parking lot, of out on the road a bit?

Would it be on the very bike you're thinking about buying, or somethng simular, or a test bike or somethig.

Any sugestions on what I should ask for when requesting a test ride would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Most bike shops will let you test ride the actual bike that you are considering buying. Usually they will let you ride it in the parking lot or maybe local roads. This is fine for road bikes, but mtn bikes need to be ridden off road. For this you are probably going to have to go to a demo day. That's when a manufacturer brings a number of bikes to a trail head and lets perspective buyers demo their bikes on the trails.

I would call the bike shop first and see what their policy on test rides is before going.

3. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Thanks for the great info!

Mike

4. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

most shops I have been to let you take it out on the local roads.

A buddy of mine was trying out a cross bike and got to take it out to a local park to try it off road, but then he and the shop owner know each other...

5. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I have never noticed a new bike in a bike shop that had tires that looked like they've been out on the road. I don't know if I would like to buy a new bike that's been on the road already. Thats why I'm surprised they would allow a test ride at all.

6. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

When I was looking for a new bike I test rode 9 bikes. One shop requested that I keep it in their parking lot. The others just made sure I had a helmet and gave advice on a good route that would let me test the bike thoroughly. The LBS I finally bought from actually told me where I could find a dirt trail not far from the shop. When I got back they cleaned the bikes up. They even cleaned the one i bought up real nice before I left with it.

A good LBS wants your patronage and will work with you to ensure you get what you want.

7. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Good bike shops will not only let you test ride bikes but will insist you ride them. There are so many choices out there so dont feel bad about test riding them. Would you buy a car w/o test driving it? Same goes for bikes. Not too many shops will let you take a mountain bike on trails just b/c they will show wear pretty quick while road bikes are a little different. Some shops actually have "demo" mtn bikes but normally only the high end ones. Good luck in finding a good bike shop too! Let us know how things turn out or when you have more questions.

8. Roadrunner

Roadrunner New Member

You guys are lucky. Over here you get to sit on it in the shop and that's it.
    I have heard of one shop in Edinburgh that lets you do a test ride, but that was no good to me as they don't sell Trek bikes and I wanted a Trek.

9. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Bikes are just like cars in that respect. Have you ever bought a car with zero miles on the odometer? Would you buy a car from a dealer who refused to let you test drive it?

10. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

We just bought a bike for our LBS for my wife. They brought out five different bikes and let her keep switching back and forth trying them. The store is in a large shopping center and she rode for and hour. Just as stated above, they really wanted her to have the right fit and feel.

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

My LBS moved from the inner-city to outskirts primarily to give more open space to ride. Personally I would never buy a bike I haven't rode before.

12. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I appreciate all the posts about what to expect from a LBS when it comes to fitting and test rides.

I have searched a number of different bike shops in my area it’s called Halters, and it’s in Monmouth Junction, NJ. They do a complete fit spending 1 to 3 hours on it, and they also let you take the bike (or bikes) for a test ride in the area. The cost for this service is free, and there is no obligation to buy after they’re done. They also look like a good shop because they carry everything and have displayed on racks for you to look at.

I just found this place yesterday and I was told the owner (who does the fitting) will be back 9/11 and I should wait for him to fit me first. I might have even bought a bike that day if they showed me something I liked, but there was no rush in selling me something. They strongly believe fit and comfort are very important. So it looks like I’m going to do business with these people.

I hope the rest of the process goes just as well. Time will tell whether they live up to there word. It all sounds too good to be true. No other bike shop in my area offered this kind of service.

13. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Sounds like a good place to do business. We have a shop like that down here, Tuckahoe bike shop. thay have went out of the way to make sure that I was happy with the bike, evean after the sale.
    I hope your experience is as good as mine.