Thanks to ALL!

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Mike1jw, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

After a LOT of painstaking research and helpful replies from many in this forum, I am now the proud owner of a new road bike. I have to say that buying a bike is not an easy thing to do, especially if you don’t know what to look for. My biggest problem was deciding whether to buy in a local bike shop or the internet. I got a lot of good replies in this forum from both sides of the aisle. But with all said and done, I have to say that I’m glad I decided to go with a LBS. I was very close to buy online but I know now that if I did I would have bought the wrong size frame. I’m not knocking the internet. I might buy my next bike online. But I was glad to have the chance not only to st on the bike, but to go on a long test ride with the person who fit me. The shop changed the bars, the neck, and the seat to suit my comfort, all at no additional cost. I bought a 2009 Giant Defy Advanced 2. The bike lists on line for $2900, I got it for $2250. It’s got all Ultegra ( not 6700 but still way mor than I need for my first road bike). I know I could have gotten a lot more bike online, but I’m very happy I went to a shop to begin with.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

CONGRATS on your new Bike!! Looks great and sounds like you made a well infomed decision and got a bike that fits. Enjoy!

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Congrats! Look forward to some ride photos.

4. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Oh very nice! You can't beat the LBS for the extra care that goes into your bike fitting!

5. RoyEveritt

RoyEveritt Brit

It looks like a lovely machine, Mike, and great service from your LBC.

6. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Mike, I'm happy you're happy.

Enjoy your new bike, take pictures of all the falls and mishaps and we'll laugh with you.

Oh, maybe you are not going to make all the mistakes we made!!!

Enjoy, good looking bike

7. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I agree, the LBSis the way to do, might cost a little more, but the help and after the sale addons are a plus. My LBS gives me a 10% discount on anything I buy there, not much, but puts the costs almost a wash with shipping and everything. CONGRATS on the bike, I'm sure you will have a lot of good times on it.

DrB

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Glad to hear that your LBS took such great care of you. I think that it's really pays to establish a good relationship with your LBS and it's especially important for a first bike purchase. Happy riding!

9. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I almost bought the farm yesterday.:eek: I'm still getting used to the steering on this road bike. It feels a lot lighter then the mountain bike (w/road tires) that I was riding. My front tire went off the pavement, about a 2" drop to the grass/dirt. The tire left the pavement just as I was trying to steer back onto the road, so I couldn't just continue on the grass to slow down and gain control. I was doing about 20 mph. The front tire road the edge of the blacktop for about at least a foot and then somehow grabbed and shot me back up onto the pavement. With my shoes clipped to the peddles, (1 mo. experiance with clipless) and fighting to gain control, I thought for sure this was going to be my first wipeout, never mind the possibility of getting hit by a car. It all happened so fast. I was in the middle of the lane of traffic before I knew it! It was a good thing there were no cars coming! I don't know if having my shoes cliped to the peddles had anything to do with helping me regain my balance. I also ride motocycles, and know that it's usually best to keep your feet on the floor boards to keep the bike balanced and in control. Freinds and family always tell me I'm crazy to ride a Harley, but I gotta say, I think in a lot of ways, it's more dangerous to ride a road bicycle. I'm not sure, and I dont know how, but I've lived to ride another day.:cool:

10. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

i haven't dumped my new bike yet....
    Yet...:D

11. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Wait until you need to stop in a hurry/panic and shift instead. I've done that!:eek:

12. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I've done the same thing. Good thing it was no emergencey!

13. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

You should set your pedals pretty soft until you're used to them.
    I've been at a light and fell over because I could not get my feet loose.
    That WILL make you look cool at a light!;)

14. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Been there, done that! I think I'm learning all there is to know about road cycling in short order:rolleyes: One time I was having some touble with my front derailer (on my old bike) as I was looking down at the derailer I got distracked and forgot I was clipped in. It's a good thing the cars stopped for me. It had to be a girl in the front car too.:eek: Another time I came to a stop at a light. I lost my balance and started to fall to the left. There was a flat bed truck next to me and as I was going down, I grabbed on to the bed of the truck. If I missed that grab, I probably would have been under the truck. On his right side.:eek:

I think if my family knew of the things happening to me, they might go out and buy me a Harley.

15. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Mike that is one good looking bike if it rides as good as it looks you made a good choice.

Ride it till the wheels fall off :D

16. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Congrats. What size did you end up with?

17. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

It was the large. Not X-Large. Plenty of standover clearance. It's a compact frame. I asked to try an X-large but the reach on the large was about as much as I can take. The shop owner who fit me showed me what the reach on the XL would be, and I agreed that I prefered the large.