Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe I've already killed the big ring on my crank. Noticed last night that all of the teeth look like shark fins. I had hoped it would last till the end of the year. I don't think that's going to happen. Only got 2k miles on the bike. Back in January I had the chain replaced and at that point the crank look fine.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a SRAM Apex 50x34t. The Apex is the bottom of that group and had considered moving the whole component set up to the Rival or Force at the end of the year. Not really wanting to drop a grand and be without the bike right now. Guess I'll just be replacing the crank.

·
Two skinny J's
21,517 Posts
It's a SRAM Apex 50x34t. The Apex is the bottom of that group and had considered moving the whole component set up to the Rival or Force at the end of the year. Not really wanting to drop a grand and be without the bike right now. Guess I'll just be replacing the crank.
I can make you a good deal on a SRAM Force 50/34 with less than 200 miles on it :D

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Or just do this.....

Single speed and a wide range of gearing depending on cadence:

On a more serious note, Apex was supposed to replace the complexity of a triple with the simplicity of a double while giving cloe to the same range when coupled with the cassette, yes? Do you think it was quality control or something else?

I'm curious as I've always had Shimano but would love to have Campy. SRAM, for whatever reason, doesn't "speak to me." It might be the double-tap thing, who knows. Some people love it, some hate it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the double tap seems to be something you love or hate. It struck a cord with me and I like the way it works.

I'd love to think it's just the awesome power of my legs that caused the premature failure (in my opinion) . I'll run it by my lbs this weekend see what they say.

Rola, I might take you up on the Force crank if it'll fit.

Single speed and a wide range of gearing depending on cadence:

On a more serious note, Apex was supposed to replace the complexity of a triple with the simplicity of a double while giving cloe to the same range when coupled with the cassette, yes? Do you think it was quality control or something else?

I'm curious as I've always had Shimano but would love to have Campy. SRAM, for whatever reason, doesn't "speak to me." It might be the double-tap thing, who knows. Some people love it, some hate it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,517 Posts
Bb90

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently I'm not the only one tearing up SRAM Apex cranksets. Mostly it's the Clydes (at 155lbs I don't think I qualify) that are doing it, but people that like to mash a taller gear are getting as little as 2k miles out of them.

This is probably where my mystery 'click' has been coming from. At least they're not too expensive.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clydes or not, if it is a metallurgy or manufacturing process, getting another will just have the same result. Has SRAM said anything on the fact? It seems small enough still to have a direct hand in consumer concerns.
Of course this is just what I read off the internet, so have to take it was a grain of salt (or whatever that saying is), but someone said they under engineered them to get the weight down. My bike shop does a fairly high volume of Specialized and SRAM so I'm going to hold judgement until I talk with them this weekend.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Being a clyde shouldn't be that big a factor, I'm sure that puts more stress on frames and rims. But I'm sure there are skinny people who can mash harder than a clyde, just as I'm sure there are some massively built people who can cause a bike to crumble just by looking at it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dropped by the LBS after my ride the afternoon to have them look at the front crank and they were like, Hmmm, that shouldn't be happening so soon. I guess there's an advantage to buying three bikes from them. They said if I could leave the bike, they would swap it out for me and I could pick it up tomorrow. Not bad considering I bought the bike from them at the beginning of last August. That folks is why you support your local bike shop :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If you're replacing your chain every 1000 miles, your chainrings should last forever. At very least 20,000 miles, not 2000.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last night was my first ride on the bike since they replaced the front crank over the weekend. Woo Hoo! They also adjusted derailleurs for me while they were at it so everything was smooth as silk. Great ride... except... it rained earlier in the day yesterday and now the bike is filthy. No more riding immediately after rain.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Exactly, one should ride immediately before or during a rain ;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
except in white cycling shorts.

So what did the LBS say? Isolated case or????? SRAM have any input?
All of the mechanics had puzzled looks on their face when they looked at it. The shop manager who I know pretty well said that while the SRAM parts don't seem to last as long as the Shimano stuff, the way I take care of my stuff I should easily get 6k-8k out of that crank. He didn't even give me the chance to ask about having it replaced, he just said if I could leave it with him for the day he'd take care of it. When I picked it up I tried to at least pay him for labor costs, but he wouldn't have any of that. I'm sure SRAM will ultimately pay for it since it was an obvious defect. It's the stuff like that keeps your customers loyal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts