Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After being stuck by a car last month, it's official, my LBS has totaled my 2010 Trek 2.3. It's a shame, my first real rode bike. I loved that rascal and will miss her. She only had 2300 miles on her. So sad.............. Crazy drivers...............

The good news is, I am going to make a full recovery and will be able to ride again!!

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
The good news is, I am going to make a full recovery and will be able to ride again!!
This is the important thing. A bike can be replaced, you cannot. Glad you are okay.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, looks like I will be as good as new in a couple more weeks of physical therapy to my left wrist. This has been an experience for me, I can say that for sure. I have never been through anything like this... ever! It has NOT been fun, nor do I ever want to go through anything like it again. The whole deal is still under investigation, no charges as of yet. I will keep everyone updated as soon as I know something.

Frankie

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Please do Frankie, and remember, you get to go bike shopping again:D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The main thing is that you are still here. The bike is replaceable. People aren't. Yeah physical therapy sucks (unless you have a very hot therapist) but it eventually ends. Truth is you probably are going to be a better rider for having been through the experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bummer on the crash man, glad to hear you're alive and recovering.

Hopefully this wont deter you from getting back out there when you're ready!

Oh yeah, any pictures of the bike??

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try to get some pic's up tomorrow............... It' don't look as bad as you would thank and that is a good thing of course. I bought it back from the insurance company for salvage price. It's my very first road bike and I wanted to keep it. I have ode the past two days since I have been released from therapy. I can't describe to you all how AWESOME it is to get back on the road. I am still a bit jumpy though. lol lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got in late so pics will have to wait a day or so. I have been shopping a little bit, I'm trying to decide between building myself a project one or just getting a stock Madone 6.2. I first liked the project one build, but as far as what I want, the only real difference is the color and the project one is around $550.00 dollars more. I will figure it out. Also not real happy with my LBS, there are zero 2012 Madones in stock right now. I know it's not a huge shop and you don't sell a Madone everyday, but I would like to at least be able to touch the thing before I decided to buy it or not. Maybe I just need to calm down and wait for them to get stock in at the first of the year.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I for one believe in supporting the local bike shop, but you should be able get something in without committing to buy before they order. IF they tried that, I would remind them of a 30 day return policy at bikesdirect.com. That would be one time I'd order elsewhere.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree 100% on the supporting your LBS, I did indeed buy my 2.3 from them and even paid $150.00 for a bike fit. Very much worth it, might I add, although I would feel a bit better if it were a bit less since I did make the purchase there, but with that said my Madone or my special build either one is a F-2 fit so I would think they could or would set my new ride up as they have all the measurements without charging me anything, all they would have to do is look at the numbers as they assemble it. Again, I may be assuming to much. lol lol lol Time will tell. Okay I am working on the pic's now. Thanks for all the comments and support.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What picture didn't turn out was the dent on the top tube. My LBS said the dented tube done her in, but after bending the hoods back and new bar tape she can still be rode. With that said, I am very cautious when I am riding her. Never know about those carbon forks after a pretty hard crash. Thanks for all the comments and support.

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
Got in late so pics will have to wait a day or so. I have been shopping a little bit, I'm trying to decide between building myself a project one or just getting a stock Madone 6.2. I first liked the project one build, but as far as what I want, the only real difference is the color and the project one is around $550.00 dollars more. I will figure it out. Also not real happy with my LBS, there are zero 2012 Madones in stock right now. I know it's not a huge shop and you don't sell a Madone everyday, but I would like to at least be able to touch the thing before I decided to buy it or not. Maybe I just need to calm down and wait for them to get stock in at the first of the year.
Big jump from a 2.3 to a 6.2! I was lucky enough to ride all of them this year up to and including a 6.9 SSL. Between the 5 series and 6 series as far as the ride, responsiveness, etc I could tell no real difference. The big selling point was the fact that the 6 series has a U.S. made frame. They had the same groupo and Race X lite vs Race lite and the H1 vs H2 fit options. The guy I ride with most of the time has a 6.2 and I just can't tell any difference between his and my 5.5.

(http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f30/trek-factory-demo-4912/)

Free Bicycle Test Rides Featuring the Latest Products from Trek, Gary Fisher, and Bontrager : Trek Factory Demo

I could not justify to myself the Project One bike. Love to have one but just couldn't justify it for the cost difference and the riding I do!

Keep us informed on what you end up doing!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Rola643,

Thanks for the information. I also rode a 6.9 SSL in our local Tour De Blount bicycle ride here in east Tennessee in the spring. I was on it for 47 miles, that puppy was FAST It was awesome to say the least, that's why I am looking at the 6.2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts