Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Goes to show ya, if you.can dream it , you can build.it.

Is he the graham obree of cardboard?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I am always interested in projects that break the norm. The types of projects that spawn devices like the Dyson vacuum or roll up keyboards.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am always interested in projects that break the norm. The types of projects that spawn devices like the Dyson vacuum or roll up keyboards.
It's even better when they're useful. The Dyson really sucks, and not in a good way. That's why we have a Kirby. Have you used a roll-up keyboard? The only advantage I found was that it fit in the trash easier.
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Eh don't have a Dyson, figures they would suck by the hype.

·
96 Posts
yea but if graham obree tried to break those records on that cardboard bike I'm pretty sure
it'd go up in flames from friction. it's odd and certainly different I am shocked it can support that much weight.

·
96 Posts
I watched the video as well. it's really amazing to see something like that. also I noticed that he's taking luthier skills from guitar making and applying them to the bicycle as well. in the video it shows him with a solid whole body guitar but when you watch the way he did the wheels and all the edge sealing by cutting the thin flaps to make the cardboard moldable on a round surface it's something that clearly is used and applied in acoustic guitar making when they attach the front and back to the sides.

·
Registered
9,935 Posts
I saw this on a post by one of my bike club members. Very neat concept and very inexpensive to produce. From what I saw of the photos in the article, the bike has a friction driven rear wheel propelled from a drum in the BB. Not sure that it will give you any speed, but what do you want for $10.00.

·
215 Posts
Interesting, but $9? the pedals cost more then that! It would be interesting to see how it would hold up to a good strong sprint up a steep mountain. He said something about stores being able to sell it for $60 I doubt that too, by the time you put brakes on, tires, pedals, any other metal parts, not including labor intensive construction, the price could easily exceed $550 unless they can get the cardboard frame and fork to be done by machine then the labor could drop a lot. But if that bike is as strong and will hold up for 20 or 30 years then why not? It's indeed a brilliant piece of engineering, he seems to like cardboard, he had all kinds of things built out of it.

It does make you wonder how much does it weigh.

And I wonder if a derailleur system to could be added.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts