Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maryland has a "Vulnerable Road User" which requires 3 feet of space between a vulnerable road user (jogger, cyclist, wheelchair, etc) as well as a "reduced and prudent speed" when passing. Most people are good about this, especially since they increased the severity of the penalty for aggressive drivers around us.

Anyway. . . .

Commuting yesterday, I'm on Route 40, 2 lanes each way with a concrete divider and designated bike lane each way. Some guy with more horsepower than brain cells buzzes me in his used Acura with 68" chrome dub wheels but rust spots poking through the quarter panels. Whatever.

On a sidestreet (twisty/hilly) I'm as close to the fog line as I can be, about 23 mph (speed limit varies between 25-30) and some soccer mom in her Volvo Stupid Useless Vehicle is behind 3 cars behind me laying on her horn. The first three cars wait until it is safe to pss and do so, safely while straddling the double yellow line. Mother of The Year (I'm watching in my mirror) AIMS for me, yes AIMS for me while laying on her horn again. It's been said when you are in a bad situation your life flashes before your eyes. For me, that has never been the case, I just get pissed. So after I made sure I didn't have a brown mouse running around in my shorts and down my leg I looked for her license plate number. I had every single intention of filing a complaint against her, unfortunately, Maryland lets you get these "Chesapeake" license plates that are a pale-medium blue with green characters which are damn near impossible to read.

I hope she got home to find her husband in bed or on the kitchen table with her sister or his secretary. Maybe both.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I always say it's not the average person you have to worry about, It's the one nut..... been thinking about getting a camera to record such nonsense, maybe this will be the deal breaker. seems like once every 1,000 passes or so you get the nitwit. It would be nice to have it recorded. to bad that this happens but, it happens:mad:

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
This morning I also had a minor run in withe a mini van. In Texas cyclist have the same rights on the road as a motor vehicle. So, I am doing about 20MPH in a 25 zone inside of my sub division out front of the school (closed for summer) on a two way road that can hold four cars abreast. I am in the right lane closer to the middle, I move over closer to the curb, but not all the way when I hear the van approach. I get yelled at and cussed out by the driver for being on the road IN THE SUBDIVISION!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sad, sad commentary on the American way!! This is just an example of the Aurora thing in a smaller scale! Glad you are ok and not a statistic!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
To get those special tags, she contributed to a fund to preserve the environment of the Chesapeake Bay, then she puts them on a gas hog and tries to run non-polluting vehicles off the road? People are idiots and idiots should not be allowed to drive cars.

In the late 1800s, a motorized vehicle was not allowed to operate without a person walking ahead of it waving a red flag. We should bring back that law!

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Well at least the mother of the years husband is enjoying himself;)

·
348 Posts
This is not encouraging us newbies to leave the trails and hit the roads. :). Be afraid. Be very afraid.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
DChapman said:
This is not encouraging us newbies to leave the trails and hit the roads. :). Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Be catiousand defensive

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DC-

I have to agree with the previous poster that for every 1000 passes you'll get a nitwit. Now, that being said, if you think about the time I am on the road in the afternoon, it is prime rush hour. I think that people are at their worst during their commmute.

Would you personally go up and call someone a really, really nasty name in a supermarket? Probably not, right?

But commuting, that's okay for some reason. I don't get it, but whatever.

The nice thing is that I take solace in knowing it cost her more money in fuel to blow past me than it cost me in food and hydration to make the ride home. Sucker.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,136 Posts
Glad you're okay, Kneedrachen. That behavior is beyond the pale.

I am liking the idea of a rear-facing video camera more and more with every one of these events I read about. I can't express how warm and fuzzy I feel at the idea of posting the video of someone like Kneedrachen's b!tch driver on YouTube. Even if the behavior doesn't reach legally-actionable levels, I bet she knows people who would recognize her vehicle and express displeasure at her actions. Peer pressure, don't ya know?

Also, with with video, her plate ought to be easier to read given the ability to rewind. Finally, in the tragic event that a video-equipped cyclist is run down and killed, I really love the idea of there being a video record to be found and (hopefully) acted upon by the police. This is something we can all do which seems to offer a good chance of really helping cyclists everywhere. If motorists think even one in 10 of us might be shooting video, I bet they'd be nicer ;) Nothing like the threat of prosecution to bring out good manners.

I do have to say I find it really sad and pathetic that so many motorists are such jerks that it actually starts to make sense to spend good money on a camera, figure out a mount and so on and so forth - just to have evidence of repeated wrongdoing by those we 'share' the road with <sigh>.

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
Maryland has a "Vulnerable Road User" which requires 3 feet of space between a vulnerable road user (jogger, cyclist, wheelchair, etc)
First, lemme say MD tagged vehicles are far and away the worst drivers on the road I have EVER seen even in Va.!!! EXTREMELY aggressive!
I was shocked at the aggressive driving in Va.when I moved here...sadly I have been assimilated

Second, where are you Detrick?

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, about MD drivers and I am from NJ! I cannot stand the driving here.

MD does NOT require turn signal use! Yes, it is in the vehicle code!

I will tell you though, VA drivers are pretty aggressive, I can't stand them on 95, either left lane loafing or racing in the 95 Corridor Grand Prix.

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
left lane loafing or racing in the 95 Corridor Grand Prix.
That's my pet peeve a left lane loafer! Matter not, 95, 64, 81... And yes in Va. if aint doing 10 over your getting run over!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Larry.

IT always amazes me though, when I see cyclists mouthing off to auto drivers. Sure, you have a right to voice your distress of what the person pulled, but man, that person has a 1 ton weapon at their disposal plus you don't know what they have in the car.

Throwing water bottles and Gu packets only works so well. . . .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts