Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, please don't be a DB this early in the season. First ride of the season was this past Sunday, Cat 4, 14 miles, mostly flat. Group hotshot shows up on his new bike, time-trial, all carbon and unobtanium, speedplay, wind drag coefficient so low a fart can break the USDOT highway speed limit on it etc etc etc. Now for me, I've been off the bike for 10 months due to surgery. Zero time on the trainer, etc. Most people in the group were good for traner sessions over the winter, but still, we're not up to par.

DB is a strong rider, I mean really strong. Mount Mitchell is like taking a nap for this guy. But. . .

We're toddling along a road, about 13 mph, easy-peasy. DB is ahead of us and pulls into someone's driveway about 200 feet up from a "T" intersection where we'll make a left. After the group passes, DB pulls out of the driveway, drops the hammer and cuts inside everyone (some novices) only to take off like a shot.

Why, oh why must we do this to our brethen?

Lesson: Don't be a DB. Be like Xela, Rola, Funetical, Dean and Hack. Be the good.

Thank You.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're the good. But then again I think the Philly Pretzel Factory offerings are a delicacy.

He does, but I've noticed he's more apt to attack and drop the hammer on those that are slower than him. I wish I had the time to dedicate to cycling like he does.

I bet I can pee further though.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Lesson: Don't be a DB. Be like Xela, Rola, Funetical, Dean and Hack. Be the good.
Aw. Thanks!

My favorite DB story is from a guy who's developed quite a reputation among a lot of people as being one. A few years back, we were going for an easy after work ride. We had a decent group and had taken a friend who had not been doing any exercise in a while and was waaaayyyy out of shape. But he was trying. I thought we should keep the pace low and try not to drop him. This was irking said DB. The ride finished with a fairly long, gradual climb. DB took off. I slowed down and rode with another guy, with neither of us wanting to just totally drop our other friend who was struggling. Well, DB took the hill :)rolleyes:) and as each other person from the group passed, he was watching his stopwatch and yelling the split times for how far behind him we finished. If that story wasn't so long, I think it'd be the definition of DB in the dictionary.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
There was one in my MTB club that always wanted to ride ahead, leaving me with the girls. Chivalry isn't dead. I was always happy to ride sweeper.

·
717 Posts
FJ Cruiser, the new style, adept at crossing speed bumps at Starbucks rather than traversing the Darien Gap like the old FJs.
Actually it was two first year (1972) Range Rovers and a 1972 Series Land Rover that made the first passage through the Darien Gap as detailed by Russel Braddon in the book 100 Days of Darien. I read that book as a kid (still have it) many times over, in fact I now own a 1972 Series Land Rover like the one in the book becasue of it (as usual, it's currently not running). It's never been thru a Starbucks, more of a BrewThru kinda truck!

Now back to the orginal post...:)

BTW, I hate DB's & riding sweeper can offer some good views!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
B-

It was a jokey joke about the Darien, everybody knows the old FJs were limited to the Brit tourists too poor to buy a Rover crossing Africa or Oz;) Althought if you have time, read Ed Culbertsons "Obsessions Die Hard" abou the Gap. One of the best stories of endurance...

So we have road DBs (known as DBs, the fixture of cycling dbaggery),
MTBDBs (the hairy-legged version of DBs)

How about FGHDB (Fixed Gear Hipster), the worst

RBDB (Recumbent Bearded DB)...joking, joking

HRRTRODB (Hybrid Riding Rail Trail Riding Only DB)

and the FDB (Fred DB)....careful they have more money than you and have brunch with your dentist.

Besides Xela is a good guy, anyone who has the same first name as me is a winner. 'Specially with the ladies.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Every time I see "DB" in caps, I think of DiamondBack.

I take it "dutchbag" is censored?

·
Registered
330 Posts
As someone who works for a software company, I think of database.
See, for databases I always think of db - as in ".db"/datebase files.

(Ex-web developer, web designer, and Oracle dba - back in the Oracle9i days)

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But YOU be careful

Let me lay the scene before ye eyes, fair gentlmen, ladies and Rola.

Saturday is a Cat 4 (easy) ride. 4 of us show up: yours truly, a guy that's hardcore MTB but rides road for about a year now, a much older gentleman and another member of our club.

The planned route starts flat, goes through some rollers and then bombs down a hill before hooking left up a 2.2 mile climb (not sure of the grade, I'll map it out), some more rollers and then flat again; it's about 18 miles total.

We start out and the "other member of our club" starts to show off with riding without hands, mashing only the big gear etc. Whatever. We're out about 6 miles and the much older gentleman flats. I'm last in line so I pull over and the other two guys come around. Our fearless leader takes over to replace the tube and the older guy starts to get his CO2 pump out. I notice his hands are REALLY shaking. Initially I thought he was embarassed or nervous (I know that happens to me when I'm nervous) and our fearless leader starts to rag on him. "Man, ya know, that Parkinson's really got ya, huh?" and stuff like that. Anyway the tube is swapped and the older guy starts to inflate the tire and can't get the CO2 head off. Again, he gets ragged on "C'mon man, even with the shakes it isn't that hard." Grossly, utterly classless. We head out and the guy flats again and cuts his sidewall. We stop and I give him a tire boot and a new tube but not without our fearless leader ragging on him. By this point, the older guy just looks humbled and ashamed. I was going to say something but thought better of it because being post-op with my shoulder, my grappling is a bit underpar at the moment should the need arise.

We continue on our way and our fearless leader is telling me how he used to race crits, etc etc etc etc etc. Whatever. We get to the top of the hill we're going to go down (I hit 37.2 mph) and we stop. Leader briefs us on the hill and he said to the older guy "We'll be okay but YOU be careful." WTF? I rode sweep again and we get to the bottom of the hill, which is a T instersection with a stop sign on our side. We regroup and start up the hill. I was so angry about what the DB did to that guy that I absof$%&inglutely dropped him up this hill. We start up and he's talking about this climb and that climb blah blah blah. Okay, no problem; I shift up and drop the hammer. I waited (without exaggeration) a good 6-7 minutes at the top of the hill with the MTB guy. Wouldn't you know it, the guy he made fun of? Yeah, they finished at the same time. So we're back on the rollers and I drop my chain (my front derailleur is way out of whack, shame on me). So what's he do as the leader? Goes to drop me. I get myself up and running and catch up. Okay, I see how this is going to be. We get to the sprint line and he's telling me about this race finish, that race finish. No problem, I drop him, again. He got the messsage afterwards and told me at the end of the ride what a great ride it was, such a good time, but next time will be harder blah blah blah.

The older gentleman came up and offered money for the tube and boot. I declined and told him to just remember my help so if someone else needs help to step up.

I was never so angry on a ride and I've never intentionally dropped someone. I felt good, but still a bit bent about it.

That guy is such a DB.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh here's the final kicker to this one.

DB "only" rides carbon fiber; I guess at that stratospheric level of cycling nirvana only certain materials can handle your two-wheeled prowess. Anyway, the older gentleman was on a Klein with downtube friction shifters. An older, mint bike with Campy wheels that he lovingly restored himself. He handpicked the gearing for the cassette for his needs. This guy obviously has a passion, right?

I ride a Cannondale Synapse road bike with an aluminum frame and 105 goupset. At the end as we're all loading up, DB says to the older gentleman and I "Ya know, Klein. Hmm. Aren't they made by Cannondale? I though a Klein was just a nice Cannondale."

Ouch. I'm hurt. Do you really think I care what brand I ride? Jeezus. At my level of cycling, I probably couldn't tell much of a difference between steel, ti, carbon and aluminum. The name on the bike is inconsequential to me, it's what I could afford, what the shop had in stock and what fit me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts