Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed up to NJ this past weekend for a birthday celebration. While SWMBO was doing party prep and my daughter was playing with her cousins, I took the new trike out for a spin and. . .

I love it! It's completely different than anything else. The only was I can describe it is sitting in a beach chair while the world passes by. Awesome.

So I cruised up and down the strip and had a couple of roadies cut in front of me at a red light. I hear one say to the other "isn't it nice the handicapped get out and ride? It's not a real bike but ya know, it's something."

I'm looking at him and I recognize him from the crit I was in a few weeks ago. I dropped this guy and he ended up getting pulled out due to not keeping pace. I casually engaged him about this and he was all pissy. No problem. But, being me, I just cannot leave well enough alone (let me tell you about the sideburn trimming story) so I decided to test my mettle.

Light turns green and they are off. I keep up with them and then do the worst thing you can do to an insecure Fred, I started drafting. Yes, on a trike. I passed him and slotted in between his friend and him. People are driving by, looking at our cluster**** of a paceline, Über-Fred, me and Dücher-Fred. So the "leader" drops the hammer and after I figure out the gear ratios a bit better, keep up with him, pass him and then let him try to grab a draft.

As luck would have, the local women's tri club is coming the opposite direction, so being the. . .kind and genteel guy that I am, I proceeded to drop the two of them like a ton of bricks. The women were laughing as they rode by.

Trikes. The new "q-ships".

Look up what a "q-ship" is to understand.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now for a completely different side of me. . .

I'd probably be diagnosed with OCD where symmetry is concerend.

Pinarello bikes? I'm twitching thinking about them.

So. . .

I needed to trim my sideburns. But they're weren't quite even. So a little off of the left, a little off the right, but WAIT! now the right is higher than the left.

I ended up having to shave my head.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I cut my own hair. A friend of mine told me that because it was cheap didn't make it right. Well was cutting my hair with clippers and notice the guard fell off. Called the wife to patch me up. She tried but it was a lost cause. Went on in to Penney's. The lady says. It looks like you put a bowl on your head and done cut the rest off. Nearly shaved head at the end.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Now for a completely different side of me. . .

I'd probably be diagnosed with OCD where symmetry is concerend.

Pinarello bikes? I'm twitching thinking about them.

So. . .

I needed to trim my sideburns. But they're weren't quite even. So a little off of the left, a little off the right, but WAIT! now the right is higher than the left.

I ended up having to shave my head.
I cut my own hair. A friend of mine told me that because it was cheap didn't make it right. Well was cutting my hair with clippers and notice the guard fell off. Called the wife to patch me up. She tried but it was a lost cause. Went on in to Penney's. The lady says. It looks like you put a bowl on your head and done cut the rest off. Nearly shaved head at the end.
Thanks, guys! I'm laughing my butt off thinking about that Knee and remembering seeing you after, Mars. :D

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Knee
You will never ride like Bradley without your burners.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,134 Posts
Knee,

Love the story...bravo! Trikes are the new Q-ships indeed! It must have hurt the roadies quite a bit to lose to a 3-wheeled apparent brick...:thumbsup:

...and another big :thumbsup: for knowing what a Q-ship is! I don't see many references to them these days.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a 1991 Chevy Caprice back in 2000 that I bought used, had a brand-new LT1 engine dropped in by the police before they auctioned it off. I referred to it as "THE Q-Ship".

A Corvette engine in a sedan? WIN!

Well, you know, the rice burners didn't stand a chance.

And neither did my wallet with the fuel costs.

True Story: When I bought it, the 870 was left in the trunk! I drove VERY carefully back to the police station to return it. would have had a heck of a time explaining that during a traffic stop.

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
Nice story about the trike. People are surprised at how fast my wife's trike is when I ride it. I have had it up to 21 mph and still had some steam left.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Knee, you are my kind of guy. I bet we could get in all sorts of trouble. Think I have an idea for a sit com a brainstormin.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,134 Posts
If it involves a pet alpaca, a tube of toothpaste and a butternut squash, man I am IN!
Don't forget the funky bikes and crazy rides. Think: Alpaca(s) on a trailer, pulled by a high-wheeler. Alpaca's pi$$ed about it, shooting snot/hay luggies at passers-by and the rider, who lives and dies for butternut squash and needs toothpaste to clean up the luggies...yea, he has a way of opening his mouth at the wrong time...need to add some sun screen and a pack of lemmings to do it right, though :D

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Don't forget the funky bikes and crazy rides. Think: Alpaca(s) on a trailer, pulled by a high-wheeler. Alpaca's pi$$ed about it, shooting snot/hay luggies at passers-by and the rider, who lives and dies for butternut squash and needs toothpaste to clean up the luggies...yea, he has a way of opening his mouth at the wrong time...need to add some sun screen and a pack of lemmings to do it right, though :D
Just wow. Someone will need a poncho.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts