Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading an article this morning that surprised me a bit. It claimed beet juice was a super food and a natural blood enhancer if you will. Apparently these guys are full of nitrates that are supposed to open or help open your blood vessels. Several diffident articles that did smaller studies show anywhere from 12-15% decrease in the amount of oxygen required before becoming exhausted.

I'm gonna try it, what can it hurt? It's all natural and 12-15% is a HUGE difference in my book!

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2011/05001/Increased_Plasma_Nitrite_Enhances_Exercise.359.aspx

http://www.realage.com/health-tips/beetroot-juice-benefits-your-workouts

Anybody ever use beet juice regularly?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just because its all natural doesn't necessarily mean its safe, but beet juice if you can stand the taste I could see no harm. Chrysanthemums are a very pretty flower and are all natural, but they are used to make insecticides that work great on roaches ect and definitely not something on the all natural diet. Lots of things are all natural and lots of the supplements out there make that claim (and its usually true) but that doesn't mean it can't interact with other medications ect so just be aware.

That big of a jump in performance is a huge difference. I wonder if it would show up on the cycling list of banned items.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Why does it have to be Beet juice? Why not something pleasant tasting...

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Beets are supposed to be very good for you. Honestly I haven't eaten one since I was a kid... hated them. I like several things now that I hated as a kid. Maybe I'll give them another try.

·
Registered
146 Posts
rola643 said:
I've NEVER tasted a beet but I'm gonna try some on a salad along with quinoa next week

http://www.livestrong.com/article/354323-can-you-eat-quinoa-raw-or-uncooked/
I haven't tried quinoa raw but I have it a lot when I make tabouli or as a salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and feta drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar.

Beets are delicious. No idea if its a super food but my mom always said it makes my cheeks red. I have heard beets increase the blood flow, don't know if it is true.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Beets are fabulous, I don't know why folks are afraid of them. Chunk and steam and peel 'em, don't worry about the stain. I want some right now. The O2 benefits are an interesting effect, thanks.

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wulp, found some beet juice. Made with purple carrots and lemon concentrate. My first impression was that it was similar to V-8 but I'm not sire of that after swigging a full glass of it this morning. Sorry the picture is kinda blurry but I was riding down the road, as a passenger of course, so it wasn't real still.

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why does it have to be Beet juice? Why not something pleasant tasting...
Yup, not so pleasant but not near as bad as I had imagined either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts