The Lance Armstrong Energy Drink

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by funetical, Sep 21, 2009.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I saw this advertised at the top of the page. Any body tried or heard of this?

2. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

If you are talkin about FRS, I love the stuff, been using it for almost 2yrs, works great for me.

I put the powder in my water bottle and tastes good even when warm!!! And it also is a good energy drink.

Use the concentrate in my Dr Oz "miracle Breakfast drink", works well without UPs and downs you get with most energy drinks.

DrB

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

What drink is it? Haven't seen one. In a can like a Red Bull?

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Yeah, it comes in cans as well as in powder form.

Sounds very interesting. I may have to give this stuff a try.
    https://secure.frs.com/vip/qcopy/info.aspx

5. JoanneWoodward

JoanneWoodward Guest

hmm... I love to have energy drinks in my wirst water bottle and drink them after my workouts.

6. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Lance's real energy drink isn't something you can buy at the store. Think it comes from Mexico. At night.

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

No, it comes from Newbury Park, CA.

8. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Is that where Barry Bonds' drink factory is located?

9. Industry_Hack

Wiki it. You'll find the answer.

10. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

We're beyond mere juice. Bio-engineering. Sweet.

11. Industry_Hack

12. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Hack, I simply saw a note about Amgen and it did not say what they did. Assumed it was bio work on a cellular level. I'm not up on all the latest drug news or types of drugs being handed around today.

HGH and good old East German steroids is the limit of my knowledge. I happen to think no man over the age of 33 or so can survive as a pro racer at the top level without serious chemical help today. That's true for all countries and riders. The attrition and the work load required in something like the TDF is not to be believed. Used to be a good massage man got you to the finish line. Now it's the best chemist. They are all guilty but Lance Armstrong is so arrogant he seems to think the public will not notice he's 73 years old. Comes a time it starts to look very bad.

13. Industry_Hack

I have many friends that work at Amgen, and used to have their shares in my portfolio, so I would keep up with the company. The provided some of the meds that extended my mum's life a bit before she passed.

But enough of that. Did you click the link?

14. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Just so any reader out there who knows I race professionally and thinks I come off a bit holier-than-thou. I'd use anything I thought I could get away with if it were presented to me and I was sure it would not harm me.

So far I have not come in contact with drugs and do not pursue them. But I'm not an angel and understand the score. May come a time the field has to be evened. Nobody who is honest in elite sports is above this kind of thing. Sorry, that is the truth.

Wait to you find out about Tiger Woods' HGH use. That's next. Guaranteed.

Yes, I read the link. Nice interview. A little short but that happens when it gets hot.

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm all for drug use on the professional level. Who doesn't want to see a gorilla man riding a bike like if he stops he's going to die?

I just think it has it's place. In a condoned performance drug friendly association and the hell away from people looking to compete without it.

I read that right didn't I Ian. Not for doping now but when you slow down who knows?
    I'm not judging just clarifying. Like stated I'm all for it.

16. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

PEDs are rampant in all sports. I wish it were not true. Just like I wish guns had not been invented so people could not so easily kill each other. But we cannot dis-invent guns and we cannot make PEDs go away either.

I would not have a problem with PEDs in sports if they were made legal. Actually, because we cannot "dis-invent" them it would be better to include them so as to level the playing field and do away with the lying and hypocrisy.

Most top endurance athletes are already using something. We simply choose to ignore it for these are our heroes and to suspect them is somehow abhorrent. A part of our brain almost shuts down. If you don't believe that, read the fan blogs on your favorite road racer. No person's favorite rider is a doper. None. This is nonsense. It's denial, mental disconnect.

Remember, elite athletes got there by freak of birth. They are born with a genetic makeup no average athlete can compete with already. So the average club rider is not at a disadvantage against an elite rider on HGH or blood cell infusion. He can't catch the TDF riders in the first place. So the doping is elite on elite. They've simply raised the tide and lifted all boats. This is the only way to make it fair. Otherwise one or two or three or 3 hundred will cheat like they do today.

As to health risk? That's not the business of the fan. It's the athlete's choice just like it's your choice to drink or smoke or get overweight. Those last 3 things will kill more average people in one day than all the drug use among bike riders will in a decade.

I already take a baby aspirin and drink 2 cups of cold black coffee before every race to enhance blood flow through expanded capillaries and thinned blood plasma. Does it work? Maybe, maybe not. But I think it works. The fact that it's legal is moot in my mind. So I'm already doping to some degree. (we have an entire industry of energy drinks filled with the same stuff) Legal or not, it's intent that counts.

So, yes, funetical. A drug that would not hurt me and could not be detected and was placed in my hand? A pill that would take a minute off my times for 25 miles? How could I say no? If most people were honest they'd say "yes" too. If you don't believe me just read the sports pages. You wouldn't be alone in the taking of the pill by a long shot.

I'm a pragmatist who is not interested in changing the world or making any one person better. That's damned annoying to the person being preached to.

17. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

In past posts I've made fun of Lance Armstrong and other dopers. They only bother me because they lie about it. I rather admire Armstrong's chemists and his ability to keep a straight face by winning at age 73 and thinking nobody notices a thing. That takes pearls.

18. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Some interesting discussions have developed in this thread. I would like to bring a few additional thoughts into the discussion.

The differences in how the body processes drugs, and everything you put into your body is a "drug" of some type, are HUGE. The body is just a huge chemical processing plant.

That being said, the differences in biological response to those drugs is more important than the drugs themselves. One person can drink coffee and nothing happens, but to others caffeine has profound effects, performance improvement? maybe, confusing, yes, but biological variation is a fact. In order to get to the truth, you need to study the effects of each chemical on each person individually in order to know if and how much effect it has. The chemists know this and they use it to make their compounds, tailoring them to individual physiology. However the chemists who do the testing are also good, it is more a question of who has the best chemists. The Chemists with the pro teams in the US are the best paid so likely they have the best chemists. What does that mean????
    I deal with this kind of response to chemistry daily, it is a part of my job, and the differences are scary sometimes. People are taking risks with PED's that we have no idea of the long term effects, there is little doubt it is being done, we just don't know how much effect it has on individuals in performance sports. The average club rider will see little effect from the most widely used PED's.

All this pales when compared to the physicological effects of what people THINK will happen, the placebo effect is as real as the actual effect. It could be that the ones who are testing negative are actually taking placebo's and don't know the difference, like the hairdresser, only the chemists know for sure.

DrB

19. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

DrB: You raise a point I never thought of; the possibility a rider's secret chemist is giving him sugar pills and sending him on his way. Athlete now feels improved, and responds in a way he may not have if he were to think himself "un-enhanced".

Of course he now tests negative. Placebo effect is not to be discounted. I know without my aspirin/coffee ritual I'd be non too pleased at the starting line.

20. hippiebikerchick

hippiebikerchick New Member

Lance's energy drink

I have been using FRS ever since it hit the market and swear by it. I prefer to buy the tubes of powder from the web site because they often have a bulk discount. I usually carry two water bottles one with just plain water and one with FRS then I carry extra tubes of the powder in my jersey pocket and use the plain water and then refill both water bottles as needed.

I like that it is not sticky sweet and light in flavor with little or no after taste. It is my go to drink for gym workouts as well as a nice pick up in the late afternoon when the energy starts to drag.

hippie biker chick