Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I posted about how I could get my wife to ride her new hybrid. I took the advice and then took her out for a spin. Without any instruction she wobbled off and had fun. We rode down the boardwalk on the weekends while towing my daughter in the kiddie trailer.

Fast forward to this past Sunday and we pick up her new Trek Lexa S with clipless pedals. We came back to our base for some parking lot riding and she takes off like a shot. I'm towing the trailer on my Synapse and I'm wondering how the heck she's going so fast. She started off on the big ring and in the middle of the cassette! I asked if she thought it was hard and she said she was doing fine. We put some distance in and then she decided to stop. She unclipped her left foot but wasn't thinking and went to put her right foot down. She took a nasty tumble and ended up with some road rash on her right elbow and forearm, some bruising on her right hip and a separated right shoulder. She took my multi-tool, marked where her cleats were lined up post fitting and took them off. She said "Let's go." I said "I'll go get the car, you wait here", her reply was "No, let's go riding!" She put in another 3 miles before she was getting too sore to go on.

That, my friends, is a hard core roadie in the making!

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts
Sounds pretty much how my GF started her love affair with clipless pedals. Keep encouraging her and before you know it you guys will do your first century together! That's how it happened with us, we started down this path about 4 years ago.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Congrats! Wish I could get my wife back on her bike.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
I don't think I wil ever have a story like that. My gf qwould rather poke her eyes out with a pencil than get on a bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's a shame, I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to ride some road but she wants to ride mountain. Looks like I need another bike. :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
When my wife and I went to pick up my new road bike this week, I was really pleased that she showed a lot of interest in getting one for herself. She, like me, has not ridden bikes since she was a child, so it is good to see the interest! She is now talking about "when" she gets a bike, not "if" she gets one.

·
242 Posts
I had not been on a bike in over 20 years and my bf started riding a couple years ago and because i had been in a car accident and had knee replacement I didn't think I was physically able to ride.. but last memorial day I tried and have been hooked I now have two bikes and am thinking of getting a 3rd already.. I loved riding as a kid and found I still do. with my rode bike I leave him in the dust it seems now where I was struggling to keep up with him just a couple of months ago haha

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Well, the "when" my spouse gets a bike starts today...we will order hers! She is excited.
That's great!!!

Huh... don't know why this double posted. Can't figure out how to delete it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts