The Mountain Man Taco!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hophead, Sep 20, 2009.

1. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

While I was out in Colorado a few weeks ago, I had the best breakfast ever at the Mountain Rose Cafe. Here's the menu.

So, after doing some research on how to make Navajo fry bread, I attempted making one myself this morning. The real McCoy uses chorizo sausage, cheddar, & Monterrey jack cheese. I decided to make a healthier version with vegetarian chorizo and low fat cheese.

It was a success and quite deeeeelicious!:)
    [​IMG]
    Stop drooling on your computer!

2. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

According to my wife that hotsauce is the BOMB!!!

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Did you have the barleywine for breakfast, too? :thumbsup:

4. hophead

But, of course.:)

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Awesome! I wasn't sure, because "making a healthier version" and a 330 cal beer don't really seem to go together. :)

6. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Dam now I have to find somthing to eat

7. hophead

The calories were not a concern. Actually, the more the better. I went on a 2hour mtn bike ride afterwards and that was my only fuel. By healthier, I meant low in saturated fat. Next time I'm gonna try it with fake eggs to eliminate the cholesterol.

8. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Looks awesome. Crazing some breakfast tacos now.

I'm going to make a run for the border
    I have a hunger only tacos can stop
    do you remember what I want to order
    3 tostados, 2 burritos and a soda pop

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That hot sauce it awesome. I skipped breakfast and the Taco place next door is shut down. Now what am I going to do?

10. hophead

Yeah, that is one of my favorite hot sauces. Easy to find too. Most grocery stores around here carry it. The Tabasco garlic hot sauce is also really good.

11. Smiley

Smiley New Member

That looks delicious! Now you can't go posting great pics of food without the recipe! I am too lazy to look up Navajo fry bread.:p

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Hey post a recipe, I had BBQ for lunch and that ain't doin it.

13. hophead

By popular demand, here's the recipe..

For the Navajo fry bread:
    1 cup unbleached flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp powdered milk
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup of water

Mix dry ingredients together then add the water. Mix with a fork and then by hand, but do not kneed dough. Some flour on your hands helps keep the dough from sticking.

Once you have a dough ball, cut it in half and flatten it into a pancake.

In a cast iron skillet add an inch of vegetable oil. I use Smart balance which is a blend of canola, olive, and soy oils. Bring to about 350 and fry the bread 'till it's brown on one side and then flip it over and do the same for the other side. It took a couple of minutes a side for me. I had no way to determine how hot the oil was though. Some trial and error will probably be necessary.

For the guts:
    I used chorizo smart sausage, but real chorizo works too. Slice the sausage and fry in vegetable oil. I used olive oil. Then fry two eggs and mix the eggs and chorizo together and then add some low fat cheddar & monterey jack.

Plop the egg/sausage/cheese mix on the fry bread and top with pico de gallo and hot sauce to taste.

I made the pico de gallo fresh. Dice equal amounts of tomatoes and red onions also chop up some fresh cilantro and a half of a serrano pepper. add a pinch of garlic powder and put in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes. Strain and your done.

14. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Thanks! I love to bake and to fix a meal by scratch. What I don't like to do is deep fry anything. I hate the splatters all over and getting splattered, and hate the greasiness of the foods that are deep fried. How do you get the fry bread to not be greasy? I know if you have the oil hot enough, it won't be greasy, but other than getting a deep fryer how do you do that? Looking for smart don't get splattered by hot grease tips here.

15. hophead

I didn't get much splatter at all. The bread did not seem to be greasy either. The original recipe I used called for the bread to be fried for 4-5 minutes a side which seemed excessive. My oil was probably hotter and thus cooked the bread quicker. Less time in the oil made it less greasy. The type of oil seemed to make a difference too.

16. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Thanks, I will have to try that kind of oil.

17. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I went out and rode 20 miles yesterday thinking about that taco. When I got home I looked in the fridg and rounded up some flat bread that I warmed in a skilet with some oil, 2 egg and some pepers onion sosage that had bin fryed and some chese, it didn't nead no hot sause them pepers took your breath away. It didn't look as good as yours but it sure took that yerning away

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  18. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

It's 2 in the morning...im stuck at work and my body is craving for the contents of tha picture...

19. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

and to wash it down with a nice bottle of beer...mmm heaven

20. hophead

I'd rather be stuck at your work than mine lad.;)