Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired
2,193 Posts
In my 20's (the 1970's....), I rode a Motobecane Mirage. I wouldn't trade any of my current stable, but I'd love to have that bike back again.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Well, I've only had two road bikes so I guess, for me, it would be my 2009 Giant Defy 2. Fit like a glove and rode like a dream. I would still have it if it didn't beat me to death on harsh roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Not many to choose from. Depending on how you define "road bike". I prefer to reserve the term for road racing bikes, of which I've had zero. I've owned a couple bikes that we used to categorize as "sport-touring", similar to a racing bike but also suitable for touring.

By far the coolest drop bar bike I've owned was my first ten-speed a 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse TT. TT for tubular tires! Purchased new senior year of high school for $150.

·
Retired
2,193 Posts
Is that a Brooks saddle??

·
1,355 Posts
Back in 1975 the girl that I was dating at the time bought me a brand new Fuji S-10-S, green just like the one in the picture. What a beautiful bike. I think it was 200 bux. I married that girl and we have been together for 38 years. Looking back on it now I think when she bought me that Fuji she was setting the hook. Man I loved that bike.

Attachments

·
Florida Cyclist
234 Posts
1974 Schwinn LeTour - I bought this bike for about $130 and it was my second road bike (the first was a chestnut brown Schwinn Varsity). The LeTour was the bike that instigated my long term love of cycling - I would ride it everyplace from 5 -70 mile rides. I raced it (and won a few races) I later put a rack on it and did some 2 day tours on it. It was a great bike for me at that time.

Attachments

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
This is the bike I bought in 2004 when I decided to get back into cycling. I had many happy rides on my LeMoind and would still have it had the former friend I had look after it for me for a few months after I moved not sold it for booze money.

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
What a shame. That is a very nice looking Lemond. Your (no longer) friend probably sold it for way less than it was worth.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
If it was my size it would have a home. I might even hang it on the living room wall with my fish tail. My Grandson let's me beat him at arm wrestling. TOO. :rolleyes:

·
Kstate Gal
399 Posts
This was my husbands first new bike he bought for himself. Said he was "treating himself" when he had trained all summer for the MS150 back in the 80s. When we were dating, my daughter said she would like to start riding, so he hauled it out of his basement, took it to the LBS for a tune up, put new tires etc on it and said Go. She's been riding it for several years, though it doesn't really fit her. (Funny how Free always seem to fit just fine for a while). Now that I got my new Domane, she was willing to take my Madone off my hands, and of course, return this classic steed to us. She had dolled it up a bit with new bar tape and a new saddle, but I think it still looks really cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Raleigh Professional

This was my first racing bike. It was a perfect fit and I've never ridden a more comfortable bike since. After I sold it to Tommy Smothers (of the Smothers Brothers) for a true pro racing frame from Germany (Rickert) I regretted it. It was full Campy - the Brooks saddle I replaced with a Selle San Marco I think, and I put Cinelli stem and bars on at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
^ Unbelievable!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts