Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this forum, I joined because of the discrimination I received from an employer.

I have looked for work in desolate CA for quite some time, I landed a job. :)
When I showed up for work riding my :eek: bike, I was no longer employed.
My employer told me that bikes were unreliable and said "what if it rained?"

I promptly told him that I was from Seattle and that rain just did not matter.
He said "that seems a very long way (18 miles round trip) to ride for a job like this" I said "this is nothing compared to what I ride just for fun".

Anyway I was let go for this bike reason. I am very upset by this. Have any of you encountered such a situation, if so, what did you do?

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is absolutely despicable and unacceptable. If I where you I would contact a lawyer. I can't imagine that this was a valid reason for dismissal and this employer needs to be taught a lesson by the court. Good luck and please let me know what happens.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
He said "that seems a very long way (18 miles round trip) to ride for a job like this"

I have an anger management problem. Are you a troll trying to rile me? If so, you've succeeded. GRRRRRR!

When is nine miles a long commute!? It seems like a very short distance to justify the use of a motor vehicle.

When is a bicycle less reliable than a car (assuming the rider carries a pump, patch kit, spare tube, chain tool and a few allen wrenches)?

If you post the name of the company and the ignorant boss we can all write HIS bosses letters and maybe get his a$$ fired. If that don't work we can target his clients to use other companies that don't discriminate against healthy environmentally conscious workers. I maybe biased but I think it's very likely someone who rides to work vs. drives will be a stronger, more energetic force in the workplace, and less likely to call in sick or can't come in because they need a new transmission or water pump.

And yeah, sue the pant off him as Noel suggests.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I would like to sue the pants off him but since it was my first day of work, I got nothing in writing and nothing to prove that he hired/fired me for the reasons I stated. I don't know if I have any ground here.

My point mainly is that this would NEVER happen in Seattle or Portland and am quite surprised in CA too!!

I am still shaking my head about this one. Unbelieveable. Most employers would applaud this as they don't want to have some obese, high blood pressure, poor health person on their payroll.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Worse than that, if you file a suit it might hinder you getting a job elsewhere. Should it? That is another question. In a way I would consider myself lucky. IF this guy was this way about riding to work, how easy would it have been to work for him on a daily basis?? Probably not very and you are likely better off never to have started with them in the first place. If you are miserable in your work, you are miserable at least a third of your life.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mark, I would need more details before commenting, as this story sounds a bit far-fetched at face value.
What are you saying? That Maggie made this up? I have worked for many small and large business's and I am no longer surprised at the irrational and just plain stupid behavior of the owners. I often wonder how so many businesses survive. I agree that Maggie is better off not working for this guy. But at the very least he should be reported to the department of labor.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
What are you saying? That Maggie made this up? I have worked for many small and large business's and I am no longer surprised at the irrational and just plain stupid behavior of the owners. I often wonder how so many businesses survive. I agree that Maggie is better off not working for this guy. But at the very least he should be reported to the department of labor.
No, I'm not saying she made this up. I'd like to know what desolate corner of California she lives in. I'd be interested in finding out the nature of the business in question, and the position she was hired for. I'd like to know what she wore to the interview, and how she got there. The "I rode my bike to work and got fired the first day" leaves out some detail, don't you think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Worse than that, if you file a suit it might hinder you getting a job elsewhere. Should it? That is another question. In a way I would consider myself lucky. IF this guy was this way about riding to work, how easy would it have been to work for him on a daily basis?? Probably not very and you are likely better off never to have started with them in the first place. If you are miserable in your work, you are miserable at least a third of your life.
That is exactly why I simply went home. What would he not like next? Nobody needs that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is exactly what I thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I'm not saying she made this up. I'd like to know what desolate corner of California she lives in. I'd be interested in finding out the nature of the business in question, and the position she was hired for. I'd like to know what she wore to the interview, and how she got there. The "I rode my bike to work and got fired the first day" leaves out some detail, don't you think?
I live in the (job wise) desolate corner of the Tustin/Irvine area. The nature of the business is the financial industry (which I have many years experience in) I was hired as an executive assistant. I was dressed in my "bikewear" (your typical shorts and t-shirt) when I showed up. Then changed into my "officewear", trousers, nice sweater...

I understand you wanting to know these things because for all you know, I showed up in my bikini ready for work LOL!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I only know Tustin from the show "Storage Wars". There is a store in Tustin called Now and Then Second Hand Thrift Store that the couple that owns it is featured in the show. If you got there early and when the appointed start time came you were in business attire ready to work, probably not too many would complain. Believe it or not bikini photos have been posted here, but that's another story lol. Hack I wonder if that Trek Utopia still has the carbon fiber fork?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Let's protest the financial industry!

The protester was named Time magazine's "Person of the Year". You have twelve days left to become protesters and "Person of the Year". It's unlikely you will have another chance to be "Person of the Year". Get with the program!

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Dean, get with the program! That was covered in post 13. :rolleyes:
Well then.

Let's protest the financial industry!

The protester was named Time magazine's "Person of the Year". You have twelve days left to become protesters and "Person of the Year". It's unlikely you will have another chance to be "Person of the Year". Get with the program!
I think this is covered in another thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts