Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to vent. UDOT is widening our freeway, which is nice. But being that this state can easily get five months of snow, our freeways are a bit odd. The concrete barriers on the median strip have drains in them every mile or so. Since they have moved the barriers and re-striped the lanes during construction, it's been pretty sketchy. Imagine being on a motorcycle, going 80MPH on the freeway, and then suddenly running over a 2x2" metal drain grate! Shame on me for doing it two days in a row. [/rant]

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lanes are all cut up with grooves, which catch your tires. And there are a couple of doglegs as they shift the work from one side of the freeway to the other. So you have to be extremely vigilant, or you'll find your bike going straight as the lanes suddenly shift. And then BAM! there's a freakin' drain in the middle of the road!

Good times. :)

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Dang, Hack, that sucks. No paintings or markings around the drain warning you guys, huh? I could see that definitely being a danger for motorcyclists. I would also think that if that did cause someone to wreck, there would be a liability issue for UDOT.

Can I add my rant about the DOT? Before you can say "no", here it goes. Can anyone explain to me why my county is taking the best asphalt-paved county roads we have and laying brand new chip-seal down? Why not take a road that is not pristine or work on paving current gravel county roads? Seems like a huge waste of money to me. But the real reason I'm griping is because the roads are so much rougher afterwards.

I can't see any advantage to chip-seal other than it is cheaper than repaving and lasts longer. But why not wait until the road actually needs some work?!

I guess they got more of our tax dollars than they know what to do with. :mad:

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rather than resurface here, they just try to seal the road cracks. Tar snakes are way slippery once it gets above 80 degrees.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
I like it when they put the drain plate longways so your front tire can go down in it and give you a nice trip over the handlebars.

I've seen that all over the world, same crap.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night, as I watched a kid laid down about 50 feet of skids (no exaggeration) and then lose control and spin his car 180 degrees. In a 25MPH residential zone.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
A few years ago, the city chip-n-seal'd my street; it's long since smoothed out nicely, and loose gravel is all but gone.

A few blocks further south, they recently did the same on two other side streets -- with gravel so fine it resembles coarse-ground black pepper. Has a LOT more staying power as a hazard!

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Last night, as I watched a kid laid down about 50 feet of skids (no exaggeration) and then lose control and spin his car 180 degrees. In a 25MPH residential zone.
50 some years ago I was that kid. I had two speeds, stop and go.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I like it when they put the drain plate longways so your front tire can go down in it and give you a nice trip over the handlebars.

I've seen that all over the world, same crap.
I've never done that. And I hope I never do it again!;)
SRS I found 26X1.4 is big enough to ride over almost all of these traps.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
I've never done that. And I hope I never do it again!;)
SRS I found 26X1.4 is big enough to ride over almost all of these traps.
Holy cow, digging through the archives :)

·
3,510 Posts
Holy cow, digging through the archives :)
He's retired! Gotta love it! :thumbsup::D He cane up with the "replacing tires", as well... I like the idea of rotating, never thought of a three tie rotation, though. That gets expensive, I'm sure.
As for those drain covers...EGADZOOKS!!! I cringe and pucker the saddle when I come up, unexpectedly on those! Fortunately either missing them altogether, or thankful they are placed correctly. (Great auto speel check! )

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
As for those drain covers...EGADZOOKS!!! I cringe and pucker the saddle when I come up, unexpectedly on those! Fortunately either missing them altogether, or thankful they are placed correctly. (Great auto speel check! )
I must be living right, I haven't seen those in...years! Exception, on bridges and those are slightly different.

·
Registered
378 Posts
He's retired! Gotta love it! :thumbsup::D He cane up with the "replacing tires", as well... I like the idea of rotating, never thought of a three tie rotation, though. That gets expensive, I'm sure.
In the long run, 3 tire rotation saves you money. If you get the same life outa 3 that you could with 4, well, simple arithmetic. Us old codgers ain't too proud to count on our fingers. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
If this is a rant thread, I'm gonna rant. I see idiots on bicycles doing idiotic things. I've seen posters at bike forums mad at every car driver and deliberately pissing these drivers off.
'One bad apple' syndrome kicks in with drivers. They see some nutball on a bike doing crazy, dangerous stuff it makes ALL of us look bad. Set an example. Calm down. The life you save may be MINE. You ride the streets, it's no game people

·
Registered
450 Posts
Does anybody else's town spray black top into pot holes then cover it with a fine gravel with a machine that sprays the gravel? It does nothing and the stuff is a big pot hole again in a matter of days. It does NOTHING! My city spends hundreds of thousands on remodeling the cop shop but my roads are #$&@!!!!!! Man it chaps my butt. Ugh!!!! It's a never ending game during the warmer months. It gets all over everything does not work and UGH!!!!!

Rant over.

Crimany

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
^ Pretty common

1 - 20 of 45 Posts