The Scott Sportster Thread

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by QueSera, Jan 15, 2010.

1. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

Hi!

Very first post here!

Well, I am a new (old) biker too!

Having had cycling experiences with various bikes in the (remote) past, I came back on a saddle last summer. It was a GT Outpost mountain bike and I had great fun riding with a friend in the outskirts.

When I decided to purchase a bike however, I decided to research the market extensively first.
    That was how I discovered Hybrids and Scott Bikes…

One great advice that led me here was one claiming that most people who sell their MTBs do so because they never ride anywhere near a mountain!

Yet, Hybrids live in the dark shadow of MTBs while on paper (and in reality) they are better suited to many cyclists who purchase a mountain bike. But most people never research on their own. They either ask someone who supposedly “knows a lot…” or they surf the internet. And ofcourse since MTBs are everywhere they tend to assume it is the best choice for them too.

Scott is a great bike maker, I consider the value for money of Scott Bikes simply plain awesome!

For anyone who wishes to learn more, Scott (company) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , here is some info.

And more on the bikes themselves here: SCOTT SPORTS | Bike

As far as the Sportster line goes, it is built on a rigid frame that will take you anywhere on the road and when the road ends, your ride goes on…

I would like people with an appreciation for Scott trekking (hybrid) bikes to post here!

Let’s share our passion and enthusiasm and spread it to more people!!!

It’s really nice to meet you all…

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Welcome.

I bought my wife one of the lady-versions of the scott sportster. Nice bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the smile doesn't lie. she's having fun.

3. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

Hi!

Nice to meet you!

It's really great to know you both like it!

My Sportster and I are still in the honeymoon - it' s a few days old...

Great pictures!!! I will also try to get some pics as soon as the weather do us a favor and open up!

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Glad you joined! You are our first member from Greece as far as I know.

5. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

Hi Dean!

It's really nice to find people who share the same interests!

Thanx to the web we may get together despite the "real" distance...

6. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

I would like your opinion on the 2009 vs 2010 Sportster models…

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/sportster-p3-2009-hybrid-bike-ec016314

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...e=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=awin

As far as I can tell the 2009 frame looks superior and more rugged, making the older model more mountain capable, while the 2010 model sports higher quality of components. Still the 2010 model looks more like a comfort bike rather than an off road trekking bike.

Having bought the 2009 model I try to justify my decision to myself, since the price gap was not huge ($100). I really needed my bike to be able to do some climbing when in the outskirts…

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. Sportster2009

Sportster2009 New Member

Hello, I have a 2009 Scott Sportster P3 also. I used to be a die hard roadie with a $4000.00 carbon road bike. Well I finally realized I was not Lance, never was gonna be Lance, and really was tired of getting all geeked out to go ride a bike. Also my kids are now of the age that we can begin taking them on the rail trails and what not, so I was not about to take my $4000.00 road bike on family fun rides. So I decided to sell the roadie and get something more family friendly. I could not be happier with this bike. I'm having fun riding a bike again. Somewhere during my roadie riding the fun sorta faded. This is a GREAT bike. I can ride it anywhere I rode my road bike, certainly not as fast, but fast enough, and can take it single track all in the same day. I bought a set of specialized armadillo nimbus tires that I use when road riding with it and it scoots along really well. Now when I'm riding I'm looking for the bumps and potholes and whatnot instead of trying to avoid them. This bike has really brought the fun back in riding for me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. jbchybridrider

jbchybridrider New Member

Hi sportster riders.
    I know I'm late here but I just found this forum mine is a P1 and I'll just show a picture gallery of mine.
    I still have the bike but wanted something more exotic that fitted me better so components have been moved to a carbon frame.
    Some people might like it and some might think its a waste of money but its something to look at and maybe get ideas from at least it brings this thread back to life. seeya :)
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

9. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin