The truth can hurt

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by madal, Nov 29, 2009.

1. madal

madal New Member

Well guys, I have never been a quitter but I guess as you get older the time arrives when you have to face up to reality:rolleyes:

I have always been competitive and loved competition and usually in a race I would be racing me:D, always trying to shave seconds off a "time" etc:rolleyes::D, I've been out of the game for some years now but recently decided to train for the British Time Trial Champs 2010 which are to be held about 20 miles away from us in a valley that I know really well:cool:

Due to a history of health problems in the last few years I decided to train indoors as it got colder, however today was a dry :)eek:) day and I decided to do a road hill session on the MTB, you're only talking about 30 minutes hard work which should not present any problems:cool:, it didn't and I was more than happy with the way it went, could have ridden all day after the hard work/pain had stopped:cool:

That was 2 and a half hours ago and I'm still coughing:mad:.

Looks like I won't live the dream folks and I guess deep down I have always known this.

On a more positive note I will now have time to enjoy the bikes as and when I am able and I will have more time without the regime I had set out:)

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Yep getting older can be a drag but glad you still find enjoyment in just riding.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My respiratory issue is still undiagnosed at this point. I feel your pain.

4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

That is a very sad story, but I admire the fact that you are able to look through the negative and find the positive. Very inspirational!!!!

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Sorry to hear it. Maybe cut back a little and just ride for fun? I don't know though I've never had respiratory issues.

6. madal

madal New Member

Cheers guys, did a little bit on the turbo today, nothing more than raising a sweat:)

Mind you it doesn't take much to raise a sweat cycling indoors:D

There is no way I'll stop altogether, that much I know and can't wait until the warmer months next year:cool:

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Have you seen a Dr.? I know your feeling better today but surely there's something they can do to help.

8. madal

madal New Member

One of my lungs has scarring after I fell off a roof and landed on my rib cage which brought on the infection. Will have it for the rest of my natural born:rolleyes:.
    I kinda thought I'd cope:rolleyes:, but the thing is I am already on so much meds for other stuff, I'd rather back off and live with life as is:)

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Dang Madal sorry to hear it.

10. madal

madal New Member

It's fine really, I'm used to the meds and stuff, the biggest challenge for me I think is when I come up against stuff I used to be able to do and the reality then hits home, but I've learned to shrug it off and channel my thoughts elsewhere:D

Thanks for your concern though..............Al:)

11. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Im sory to hear that your health is giving you trouble. Seems like your spirits are good though and outlook on life excellent. Getting older and facing the fact that our bodies do accumulate wear and tear over the years can be difficult at times. Modern med is awesome but there are limits. Plus I have discovered some of these health issues just come and go with no rhyme or reason that I can determine. Your ability to see the glass half full will serve you well in the future. The good news is there are at least SOME advantages to being over the hill!

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I would be more optimistic with that expression and say you were on the right side of the hill.

13. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Breathing hard when it's cold out does it to me, too. Maybe I've always been old, because it's not a new thing. :(