The United States Treasury wants to send me $7000

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by vitapimp, Oct 27, 2009.

1. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

I just received a call from this guy, Robert, telling me I was being awarded a $7000 grant that I could use for anything. He knew my name and home address. He asked how long I've lived here and what was my DOB to verify I am over 18. He said he could have the funds ready for me to use within a few hours if I gave him a credit card number, a savings or checking account number (hello, red flag...SCAM).

When I wouldn't give him that info and told him a treasury check will be fine he explained that it was not a secure process to send me a check. He advised me that the check might get lost and an account number would be better. I informed he it was not secure for me to give my account info to some stranger who says he works for the US Treasury. He proceeded to tell me he was not lying and was pretty insistent I give him my account info to speed the process of me receiving my "movie check". I told him if he worked for the US Treasury department then he had access to plenty of checks and that it would be fine.

He said I just needed to call 202-684-6582 and give them my confirmation number RO171 to get my check processed. He called on my home phone so as I was talking to him I called the number from my work phone (VOIP). There was no answer, it went straight to busy. So, I started to ask him a bunch of questions about the program, how long has it been in service, how do they decide who wins, where is he calling me from, why can't he send it to me, why do I have to call someone, etc... he had all the right info. Well, at least it sounded right.

I googled the number and it seems a lot of people have been reporting it as a scam with the same MO. Needless to say, I will probably never see my grant money because my check will be lost in the mail or one of you butt heads will call first and use my confirmation number to claim my prize.

Before we hung up I asked him if he was related to the prince of Nigeria. He asked why I would ask such a question. I told him he had a heavy accent and he was offering me money.

In short, the prince of Nigeria, aka "Robert", called me pretending to work for the US Treasury offering me $7000 of my own tax money.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Look, if you want the government to give you money, you'll need to go start a business, run it like a moron, and then when it is on the brink of failure, the government will bail you out so you can continue to fail for a bit longer.

They don't mail checks to smart people, ok?

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I get a tax return check.... I see what your saying. If they have all your info and there the government it seems it would be no issue in accessing your accounts or reissuing a check. You should have pointed that out to him.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Ain't modern capitalism grand?

5. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Arn't us old people getting a check from the gov for $250 each, because there was no cola this year. That will put a set of tires on the bike.

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

7. Mozzery

Mozzery New Member

I just got a call personally and if they call me back I am going to tell them to call in the future to 717-787-3391 which is the number for the attorney general of PA:)

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I hope they do it!

9. ReallyY

ReallyY New Member

Well I just received a call from "Michael Stevenson" , he knew all of my information including my age and address, he informed me that I was eligible to receive $7000, with a grant confirmation number of 4265, because I am a good citizen than pays bills on time and has never been incarcerated. All I had to do was call (206) 855-3137 and give my grant confirmation number to the Finance department and they would confirm it to be me and send me my cashier’s check; which is how I told Michael I wanted to receive my money.
    I asked Michael where he was calling me from and he said 200 Independence Avenue H H H 2nd Floor, SW Washington DC 20201.
    So I hung up with Michael, and called! I spoke with a female, I gave her the confirmation number and she confirmed my address, phone number and age, she then asked how I wanted to receive my money, and I told her a cashier’s check. She said that they would mail the money to me within four hours all I needed to do was give her my credit card information to activate the grant confirmation number. They would take $200 off of my credit card for 20 minutes, and then put the $200 back.
    Really?

10. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

I used to work in a bank and I can't tell you how many people fall for stuff like this.

The other popular one is the Lottery Winner of $50,000, but all you have to do is send a blank check for us to create a direct deposit with. And we will pre-authorize the account so make sure you have at least $2,000 in the account.

I bet a customer once a month fell for that scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

11. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

There's a sucker born every day.

12. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Only $7,000? I've won about $30,000,000.00 in African and Belgium lotteries. I must really be lucky! :D

13. FRISKY

FRISKY Maturity Challenged

May I borrow $500? I will pay you back the second Tuesday of next week.

14. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

This is an old thread, but damn, I got a laugh out of my reply to the OP.

I got a text saying I was going to be getting a huge check soon. Best part? It's going to happen.

15. cromartie

cromartie New Member

I just received a call from David Hunter claiming I was awarded 9,200.00. I told him that I did not have an account. This persist young man said that I can go to family dollar and get a Greene card and put 200.00 on it, but do not tell the cashier because she may charge me 50.00 for activation. I told him I could have this done in an hour. When I call him back I plan to have him on the phone with the sheriff dept. I am a retired officer. I hope that cooks his goose. Lol

16. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

Keep us updated! I'm interested to see what happens.

17. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Well, I'm not getting rich. But isn't love priceless? I found this in my junk folder today. :D There was a link included in the text, but I removed it for your safety. ;)

I'm on page 3 of the letter right now.

Aloha
    I desire to live in love wholeheartedly and to express my passionate
    devotion to beloved person. I believe that one fine day the doors will
    be broken down and there we will meet to live happily ever after, like
    in a fairytale But before that day we have to find each other,
    so I would welcome a chance to receive a four page letter instantly
    made up from those delightful words. Those words will fill my heart
    with emotion and joy. I hope to hold my sweetheart in my arms, when I
    will lavish upon a million kisses, burning as the equatorial sun.
    Hope to here from you
    Stephanie

18. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Stephanie seems like a real catch....you're a lucky guy

19. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

I always tell them to send me their personal information so I can verify they are real. Then crickets.........or tell them the only secure way is to drive to a nearby park and leave the money in a red bag in the garbage can on the northwest corner of the park. The nigerian ones I ask for their acct information so I can hack their acct and only take how much they said I was due.

20. ding

ding New Member

Geez, they only offered me $5000. I am not a nice person when someone I don't know calls me and the first thing they say is "Hi." It goes down hill from there if I really don't know them. Or drops off a cliff if they try a scam like this on me. :mad: