Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gen. James A. Van Fleet State Trail is officially designated as part of Florida’s Statewide System of Greenways and Trails. This rail-trail is one of Florida’s most rural. It runs through the Green Swamp, the headwaters for some of Florida’s most canoed rivers, the Withlacoochee (South), Hillsborough, and Peace. Landscapes include the natural environments associated with the Green Swamp, former citrus lands and cattle ranches. With only one curve in its 29.2 miles, you can choose to go slow and view the wildlife or enjoy it at a brisk pace. The trail has excellent wildlife viewing opportunities between Green Pond Road and Bay Lake Road. My recommendation to to avoid the Polk City trailhead.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
My team an I have done this trail. We've gone so many miles on that trail that it's so boring. I love the orange and south lake trails cause they have hills (my specialty). I just think the trail is to flat But it is (for the most part) shaded and you do get to see a lot of birds and gators and turtles so if your a newbie or you just get out to see things it's perfect but not for experienced riders and racers ( unless you plan to go really fast)

·
Two skinny J's
21,518 Posts
conork your youthful exuberance may have missed the point of this post :) It sounds like a move to Colorado for some training on the hills would be in order for you :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
We got a house in Tennessee and it has great giant long hills all around it and it's an amazing trail for nature and just getting out to enjoy it but not so much for race training or group tranning I got the point just wanted people to have a opinion from a different perspective.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
The Suncoast Trail, which runs from HIllsborough, Pasco and Hernando Counties is a very nice trail if you want hills. Not much shade on the route and it's a two way trail. You could do a nice century ride on the Suncoast if you want to.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the Van Fleet on my list of trails to do. With seemingly few people on it, one curve, and flat, you'd think it'd be *ideal* for racing or trying to achieve maximum speeds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts