Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK veggie-heads, what do you eat? What do you use as your main source of protein? Especially after a 50 mile ride and you feel like you could eat a whole cow head first?

I have gone for very long stretches without eating meat but I always end up in the carb heavy end of vegetarianism by eating too much bread and pasta. I do have one or two nights a week that are meat free. What do they call that; flexetarian? LOL!

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
OK...After a long run or ride I usually have a protein (soy) shake or smoothie,and a sports drink 1st,as many elite athletes such as myself do:rolleyes:.
As far as actually eating I will have (if dinner or lunch isnt in the very near future) any combination of peanut butter/jelly sandwich,fruit,or maybe some cereal with soy milk....Dinner? Well being a vegetarian is soooooooo much easier now than even just a few years ago.By that I mean things like veggie burgers used to be hard to find and not a lot of choices,now there are multiple companies,making a plethora of different veggie"meats" now.Everything from "ribs,burgers,hot-dogs,chicken,ground beef,corn dogs,bacon,sausage,and even deli meats",all 100% vegetarian,and 100% delicious.
So I'll have maybe a "hot-dog" with baked fries? "Ribs" and a baked sweet potato? "Chicken" fajitas w/chips and salsa? Vegetarian chili? The possibilities are endless,and to top it all off,its all 100% healthy,plus eating all those fruits and veggies all the time,Im so regular I can set my watch by my bowel movements :D

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, there's one vision I'll never be able to scrub from my Psyche...you sitting there setting your sports watch. LOL!

I remember years ago when the only meat alternatives was tvp and it was horrible. Now the meat alternatives have gotten much better. Morning Star makes a buffalo wings that I like more than the real thing. I've tried the Korn stuff but it's just too weird eating fungus meat. The veggie burger is unbelievable. I have Linda McCartney's last cook book and she has an enchilada recipe in there that is better than with meat.

Now, the dark side of fake meat. One of my big things is the amount of processing we put food through. I generally cook everything from scratch. The concerns I have with soy products is the amount of processing they use and what else is in there to get that soy to be meat-like? I also wonder what prolonged eating of soy does to the body in the form of estrogen production.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Great, there's one vision I'll never be able to scrub from my Psyche...you sitting there setting your sports watch. LOL!

I remember years ago when the only meat alternatives was tvp and it was horrible. Now the meat alternatives have gotten much better. Morning Star makes a buffalo wings that I like more than the real thing. I've tried the Korn stuff but it's just too weird eating fungus meat. The veggie burger is unbelievable. I have Linda McCartney's last cook book and she has an enchilada recipe in there that is better than with meat.

Now, the dark side of fake meat. One of my big things is the amount of processing we put food through. I generally cook everything from scratch. The concerns I have with soy products is the amount of processing they use and what else is in there to get that soy to be meat-like? I also wonder what prolonged eating of soy does to the body in the form of estrogen production.
Ive also heard the estrogen thing too,but have also seen it debunked so who knows? I am all man nigal,and I eat it all the time :) And yes the veggie stuff is really good! I mean does a veggie burger taste like a char broiled angus burger?absolutely not.But I can take a good veggie burger,put it on a whole wheat bun w/lettuce,tomato,ketchup,etc with fries or chips and I dont feel like Im missing a thing.But I do eat some dairy,just not milk,so I will get whey protein in my system from time to time,cheese and yogurt also.I also make sure to get other forms of protein like peas,peanuts and eggs.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I eat a TON of beans. It's one of the few things I will eat from a can. Throw four eggs in a skillet over easy with half a can of chili beans and I'm good to go all day with out being hungry. :) I'm getting ready to jump back on The South Beach Diet (high protein-low carb) which usually means a ton of meat. Maybe I'll give the fake stuff a try and see how the cost comes out.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
I eat a TON of beans. It's one of the few things I will eat from a can. Throw four eggs in a skillet over easy with half a can of chili beans and I'm good to go all day with out being hungry. :) I'm getting ready to jump back on The South Beach Diet (high protein-low carb) which usually means a ton of meat. Maybe I'll give the fake stuff a try and see how the cost comes out.
Not bad for losing weight,but your body needs carbs man,maybe not a ton but it needs it.Especially if you are riding or an active person,as you seem to be so just make sure you get enough carbs or your riding could get harder...But I run competitively and ride hard so Im a carb-aholic,lol

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I get carbs, it's just not a lot and I try to be selective in their forms (nothing white). While I have always loved carbs I have never had the need for carbo loading during activities. Before I did today's ride I had a salmon patty on the 100 calorie Slimwich bread ( I can't discourage the eating of salmon patty before a ride enough. I was burping salmon the whole ride!), I did 35 miles straight through, got home and had a protein shake and Luna Bar. I feel great and don't have that "I wanna eat a whole pizza!" feeling. High fiber followed by protein seems to work best for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm a vegan so I can tell you what I basically have. I tend to have a vegan protein shake of some sort post-workout for the most part. I like Vegan Protein in chocolate or Vega products a lot. They both don't contain soy which is good since I think I have enough soy without consuming a soy shake.

Also, I have protein bars handy all the time like Vega, Odwalla, Luna, Clif and such. The Odwalla Super Protein has like 12g of protein which is great. If I need more protein than that, I will make some pasta or a burrito of some sort. The veggie burgers like boca are also good for a quick fix.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I went and bought a juicer. One of the Jack Lelane ones (you should see me in the jump suit!). I've just been juicing to supplement my diet and try some recipes. Now I'm juicing all day and then doing a reasonable dinner (80% vegetarian). I'm going on a backpacking trip in a few weeks and when I get home from that I'm going to do a 100% juice fast for a while.

I'm really surprised how great I feel all day while juicing. I have one at 630am, one at 11am, and one at 4pm. I have plenty of energy and I'm not hungry either. The recipe I'm doing is...

3-6 leaves kale
3 stalks celery
1 cucumber
2 green apples
1/2 lemon
knob of ginger

Sometimes I'll throw in a couple carrots for sweetness. And all the pulp that's left over? Instant compost for the garden!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I went back onto meat after a few months off of it. It's been a couple months now and I have to say I feel like crap. I'm going back off of it and cutting out dairy while I'm at it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
Just don't think I could give up on a good grilled Ribeye :)

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The easiest way isn't to cut out meat but to crowd out meat. I found all kinds of great new food to eat that I don't miss the meat at all. Now dairy will be the difficult part.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I never understood why one would even want to cut out meat. Yes you can eat too much of it, but like most things balance is the key. You can eat too many veg too and it can cause just as many health problems as too much meat. IIRC Bill Walton the basketball player was a strict vegaterian and developed bone problems in his feet and legs IIRC that ultimately shortened his career. Many thought his diet caused the problems.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are many reasons to eat a plant based diet. I never preached about my diet when I ate meat so I won't preach about my plant based diet either. 8) My reasons are simple; a much less chance of developing cancer, halting and even reversing cardio vascular damage that runs in my family and I plain old feel better. But this is my diet, not my religion. Eat whatever you like.

IIRC Bill Walton the basketball player was a strict vegaterian and developed bone problems in his feet and legs IIRC that ultimately shortened his career.
A 6'11" athlete with feet and leg problems? No way! LOL!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some people are carnivores and some do better without meat. If you feel better not eating meat then that is what you should do. I eat very little animal protein and what I do eat I try to get from well fed and cruelty free producers. Springer Mountain chickens are my go to choice, as well as local eggs and milk, where I can actually see how the chickens and cows are treated and fed. The real health concerns with consuming animal protein is not that it is in itself unhealthy but that it is made toxic by modern industrial farming practices. From what I have recently learned industrial chicken may be even worse for us than beef. Of course, with the energy cost and pollution (not to mention the appalling cruelty of mass produced animals) involved in the production of animals for food, the whole world would be better off if everyone at least cut back on their meat consumption.
God do I ever get sick of pontificating?
Anyway back to the original point of this thread. If you can find milk from humanely raised and well fed cows then, from what I read, in a recent issue of Bicycling magazine, chocolate milk makes a surprisingly good recovery drink. I am sure that it is allot better for you then any of the GatorCytoPowerEnergy laboratory produced recovery drinks.
Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh yeah and on the juicing front, have you tried the old standard, carrot, apple, orange, ginger? It's hard to beat. And for a real treat, grape, pineapple, lemon ginger, is excellent. Another is just making your own lemonade using whole lemons and apples. I was advised by a nutritionist that this with a little maple syrup makes and ideal energy drink.
Ok you've convinced me, I'm getting my juicer back to work.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah and on the juicing front, have you tried the old standard, carrot, apple, orange, ginger? It's hard to beat. And for a real treat, grape, pineapple, lemon ginger, is excellent. Another is just making your own lemonade using whole lemons and apples. I was advised by a nutritionist that this with a little maple syrup makes and ideal energy drink.
Ok you've convinced me, I'm getting my juicer back to work.
Those sound great! I'm not going to be juicing three times a day like I was but I'm planning at least one a day.

I'm having to do away with my standard morning protein smoothie because it is a whey mix and I don't want too much soy (tastes like crap any how). My new favorite breakfast is this:

1/2 c. raw almonds (soaked over night)
1 banana
2 tbl. agave nectar
dash of cinnamon
almond milk

Throw everything in the blender and add just enough almond milk to make it smooth.

I was amazed by this recipe. When I would eat my eggs and protein/banana smoothie I'd be ready for lunch by 11a but the almonds get me through most of my day with no hunger pangs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts