Two Spoke Forums banner

Do You Wave?

• Always! We're All Cyclists!

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Never! Lead, Follow or Get Out Of The Way!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes. Do I have a death grip on my handlebars?

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Depends. What is the other cyclist wearing/riding?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe because I'm a Jeep Wrangler guy, or I've ridden motorcycles my entire life, but I wave to people in/on the same mode of transportation as I. I carry that over to cycling. I do not care if you are a clean-shaven roadie, gnarly mountain biker, mesh shorts and old t-shirt hybrid rider, hipster fixie rider, beach cruiser kind of person, back-and-groin-pain-free recumbent rider or BMX fanatic.

I ride, you ride, we ride. Let's be nice! I noticed though, that while out for the past few days that very, very few people waved back. The roadies and tri riders were scowling at their cyclometers most of the time, the mountain bikers weren't out and the beach cruiser crowd (mostly teens) were busy yakking on their Iphones or speaking to each other with interjections of "totes!" when signalling agreement.

What about you? Do you wave to other cyclists? Always? Never? Sometimes? Depends on the other type of bike/cyclist?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Always do.

And it's taken me about 6 months to get used to the Wrangler wave, but now it's becoming habit too. :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I rarely wave, but instead almost always shout a 'good morning' or something similar and give a head nod. The Tri riders usually don't even acknowledge my existence, but most everyone else returns the gesture.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I always do something, even if it's just lift two fingers off the grip. Funny thing is it doesn't seem like there is a common thread. some people acknoweledge and some don't. I just figure the ones who do nothing are miserable cheeseballs who have to live with themselves anyway. that or they are so wrapped up in thier world that they don't see you? either way what's it take to nod your head or lift a finger? must be upbringing!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Xela, my last TJ was on 06, haven't seen the '07 and up manuals but they used to have instructions in the manual on the proper form and use of "The Jeep Wave."
I'm not seeing it in my manual or the Owner's Information DVD. I hope I'm doing it right.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
There is a difference in a Honda wave and a Harley wave, so there may be variations on the Wrangler wave also! As for biking, where I ride there is no one to wave at, so I don't know if folks have the habit or not.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I wave as often as possible. If I need my hands on the bars, then I say hello or I give a nod and a smile. I mostly ride in my neighborhood, so I wave at the cars. Have caught myself doing it from time to time when out on the road, out of habit. Folks must think I'm nuts. Truth is, I'm just so damn happy to be out on my bike.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Some people wave and some people dont. I give acknowledgment to others out on the road. I just dont give it any thought if they wave or not.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I almost clicked "Depends on what they are wearing/riding". Not because I'm snooty but because of where I ride. Some locals may be looking to upgrade, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
Actually I usually nod or wave but only after making eye contact.
I waved at a transit bus driver today to give me some room through an accident scene.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I usually wait for them to wave first. Usually the tri people are buried in their computers and some of the roadies up here are too stuck up to wave at someone with a less expensive bike. Most of the people out for casual riding talk to their riding partner and barely notice other riders. So I usually wait, sometimes I'll take the initiative and raise a few fingers off the bars but that depends on how cute he is 0:)

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I don't wave but I like to say a good morning, evean in the afternoon ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts