Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my old Record 10 with Record 11 yesterday. Not that I expected anything less, but man does it ROCK!

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
Jealousy sets in, turns to go to the garage and clean the bike!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have that new campy crunch/grind/tightness? I'd love to get campy, but my new sidecar-equipped mode of transport has sapped my cycling fund.
No, actually surprised at how light the upshifts are. I do know what you mean about the tightness. I remember my old Record being very tight at first. Also, it seems like with the old stuff, I could drop up to 4 gears at once. I can go down all 11 gears on the back with 2 pushes of the thumb lever on this.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That's a sweet looking ride! Yea... I've gotta go home and clean mine now.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Pfft! I just got a pair of New Balance Minimus trail shoes, size 12. They go to twelve!

And no, I can actually get my swollen big toe into them yet.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Nice ride Xela. I think I'd need to roll over and have a smoke after a ride on that thing.

Hack: I'm in the market for a pair of New Balance shoes, considered the Minimus, how do you like them? I need a good cross shoe. Currently using worn out 1009 cross shoe by New Balance.

·
12,350 Posts
I recommend the whole world switch to minimalist footwear. Seriously. I wore them a bit over the weekend, but it may be a while before I can actually run in them.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recommend the whole world switch to minimalist footwear. Seriously. I wore them a bit over the weekend, but it may be a while before I can actually run in them.
Glad to see there are actually "normal" looking alternatives coming out for the minimalist footwear. I suspect we'll get a full (and excellent) review over at Industry Outsider soon.

·
12,350 Posts
Glad to see there are actually "normal" looking alternatives coming out for the minimalist footwear. I suspect we'll get a full (and excellent) review over at Industry Outsider soon.
I have a pair that is perfectly acceptable in an office environment as well. While my wife teases me about being old, (the irony!) I think Dr. Scholl's is doing a good job of reaching a younger audience. Their Strolle are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned.

Sort of on-topic, I would be interested in seeing a minimalist cycling shoe, and having someone determine if that would be more efficient, or if it would just wreck your leg muscles.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If you think of the sole as an oversized platform pedal, SPD sandals are kinda minimalistic.. Putting a machine between your bare feet and the ground complicates things. For example, pairing barefoot style footware with minimalist pedals like eggbeaters would be a poor match

·
12,350 Posts
SPD sandals are not at all minimalistic. I'm wondering if you could bring more muscles into play by replacing the stiff sole of a cycling shoe with one that allows the foot to move in a more natural motion.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If you think of the sole of an SPD sandal as the ground, maybe? Natural foot movement implies to me walking, on a firm surface. I don't know what natural foot motion on a bicycle pedal would mean, but you need a somewhat solid platform to walk naturally and in my opinion you need a solid platform to pedal efficiently. An SPD sandal is that solid ground with a few straps holding you on it.

Cut the straps off if you prefer a freer feeling, but SPD sandals do feel a lot like riding barefoot (on a big foot shaped pedal) to me...

·
12,350 Posts
Put your bare foot on the ground, keep the ball of your foot firmly planted, and raise your heel about 4 inches off the ground. Now try that with your shoes on. Minimalist shoes allow a more natural movement than a traditional shoe can provide. Anyone who has worn a pair understands what I'm getting at, as far as bicycle shoes.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I understand the importance of the foot bending at the ball while walking. My job involves a lot of both bike riding and walking. I rode in sneakers/platform pedals for years to address plantar fascitis in one of my feet. Walking in stiff soled shoes definitely hurt my feet but the condition has been resolved and I'm back on clipless pedals. Knock on wood, there is a risk of re-injury.

I've had touring shoes that were designed to flex at the ball but resisted bending in the opposite direction.

One problem with clipless compatable shoes that flex is breakage. I had some early pairs designed for casual use, more dual purpose on/off the bike which were not as stiff as performance models but they broke in half. Newer clipless shoes for recreational riders seem to be much stiffer, but rocker is sometimes added to make them easier to walk in.

You should try to ride in your running shoes. I never noticed a big problem with my feet bending too much around the pedal (flexing the opposite direction) when I was riding in sneakers. You can control that with the muscles in your feet. I did use big pedals though to provide some support.

Ergon pedals might work well for you. Slap a pair of these on your bike and have a go at riding in your minimalist shoes!

Ergon pedals would look nice on Xela's 11 speed bike. :D

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I understand the importance of the foot bending at the ball while walking. My job involves a lot of both bike riding and walking. I rode in sneakers/platform pedals for years to address plantar fascitis in one of my feet. Walking in stiff soled shoes definitely hurt my feet but the condition has been resolved and I'm back on clipless pedals. Knock on wood, there is a risk of re-injury.

I've had touring shoes that were designed to flex at the ball but resisted bending in the opposite direction.

One problem with clipless compatable shoes that flex is breakage. I had some early pairs designed for casual use, more dual purpose on/off the bike which were not as stiff as performance models but they broke in half. Newer clipless shoes for recreational riders seem to be much stiffer, but rocker is sometimes added to make them easier to walk in.

You should try to ride in your running shoes. I never noticed a big problem with my feet bending too much around the pedal (flexing the opposite direction) when I was riding in sneakers. You can control that with the muscles in your feet. I did use big pedals though to provide some support.

Ergon pedals might work well for you. Slap a pair of these on your bike and have a go at riding in your minimalist shoes!

Ergon pedals would look nice on Xela's 11 speed bike. :D
Are thay wide???, my problum is EEEEE wide

1 - 17 of 17 Posts