Thinking about a 29er...

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by COSMTBFAN, May 20, 2010.

1. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

I have been chomping at the bit for a new bike, and I have been looking at some things and found that a 29er might be the way to go!! I am 6'5", and find 26" MTBs to be a little cramped. My LBS tells me 29ers are better suited to larger riders, such as myself. I would like a consensus of opinions from folks here, thanks much!! It will aid in my decision.

I'm currently looking at a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er. Thoughts???

2. noneed429r

noneed429r Recovering Retrogrouch

My screenname came from me wanting a 29r really bad and then one day walking into my garage and realizing that I have a good stable of nice,perfectly serviceable, 26" wheeled bikes already. Hence "Noneed429r" .
    However if I were a tall guy like you I probably would have sold two of my bikes and bought one for sure. But for somebody 5'9" like me is there really any advantage to one, other than being able to roll over chuckholes and rocks a bit easier? Most of the articles Iv'e read and people I have talked to say they accelerate a bit slower than 26" wheels and climb a little slower due to the extra wheel weight and diameter.
    I was also told by a rider of a 29er single speed, that 29ers are have not been well received in Europe and the UK. Has anybody else heard of that?

3. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

I'm looking into a shifty, no use for a SS for me. LBS told me that the gearing has been changed to compensate for the larger tires, but I'm not sure on that. I will, at the very least, demo one before I lay down the cabbage to buy it!! Weight is not a real big deal to me, I'm around 250lbs, & my current ride is in the 35lb range, so I'm used to a tank. If I got something lighter than that, it would be an improvement. I too have heard they roll over obstacles much easier...thanks for your input!!

COS

4. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

29er is the way to go. period

5. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

Personal experience?? Please share...

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If I were 6'5", I'd probably go 29er too, but I'm 6'0" and have five 26" bikes, so I won't be getting a 29er anytime soon. Plus, my friends seem to be breaking their 29er's at an alarming rate.

Here's my buddy's Ventana. He busted the front triangle last year and the rear triangle 3 weeks ago...
    [​IMG]
    Get one with a really good warranty!!!

7. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

OUCH!! Thanks for sharing, and I will definitely look at the warranty when I buy one!!

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

If I ever come across one cheep I'm going to buy one. The ones I have ridden are a lot more spacious. If I was your height I would probably ride one exclusively.

9. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

i'm 6'3 230lbs with a BMX backround, i ride full rigid and flip between gears and single speed depending on where i ride. i huck anything i really dont care. the only thing i'm worried about is my fork, it's carbon... so that means i might get this season out of it haha

10. chumpmann

chumpmann New Member

I was also in the market for a 29er. I even started a thread in here somewhere.

After input from here and an experienced Bike shop, I came to the conclusion to stick with 26"

This also had to do with the type of trails I run most of the time.
    The handling with the larger tires seemed to be the biggest target.
    I ride in Palo Duro Canyon with winding rocky hills and descents.
    I thought the 29er would help with some of the rocky climbs i encounter, But weight came into play there, with the larger frame and wheels.

Also the owner of the Bike shop said that he sees alot more breakage in the 29er's due to the geometry of the frames, being longer and more pressure in certain areas.

I never had the chance to take one for a spin so I cannot attest to it in that capacity.

If I do find one on craigslist or Ebay for cheap, will still try and pick one up....