thinking of another bike

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by BigJoey, Oct 18, 2010.

1. BigJoey

BigJoey Patrol Biker

so im looking around thinking about buying a Surley "big dummy"just because its different and looks like it may be fun to ride, any idea what the best deal is for a frame for one of those, im thinking it would be a fun build up over time... any pro's con's? anyone even know much about the "Surley" name? ive never heard of them till recently

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Do you really think there's a chance you're going to ever haul 200+ pounds on a bike? That would definitely be impressive! I'm currently longing for a Salsa Fargo. Seems to have more than enough carrying capacity for anything I would ever do.

3. BigJoey

BigJoey Patrol Biker

ya never know..... but if the need arose i would be able to :D

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

From what I've seen and heard, including from LBS employees, Surly are good bikes. I know the Long Haul Trucker has almost a cult following and lots of people are absolutely in love with it for touring/commuting.

Here's a pretty entertaining review of the Big Dummy: Bike Snob NYC: BSNYC Product Review: Surly Big Dummy

5. BigJoey

BigJoey Patrol Biker

humerous review thanks for the chuckles...

6. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

The Big Dummy is on my list of toys one day when I got the shop to work on it and the money to buy it LOL :D

7. CycleJunkie

CycleJunkie New Member

I am currently riding a Salsa Ala Carte with the Xtracycle Free Radical long tail kit. I love long tail bikes. I have been interested in the BD for some time now & just purchased one used online yesterday. One reason for going ahead and getting one is I need the larger 22in frame this one has. My Ala Carte is a 20in with EVERYTHING raised to the max. Long tail bikes are just plain FUN. It's great carrying loads and passengers, But besides that they are just plain fun. Oh I said that already...Be careful, If you ride a long tail for any period of time you may never go back.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  8. CycleJunkie

CycleJunkie New Member

Oh yeah, If you wonder what BD owners think about their rigs. Try finding an used one for sale... The one I found ,the guy NEEDED MONEY...