Thinking of Upgrading my 2000 Diamondback Outlook

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Codejockey, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Codejockey

Codejockey New Member

I bought the bike new in 2000. I rode it a lot at first, but then life got busy, I got lazy, and then quit. I've decided to begin riding again. I'd really like to go buy a new bike, but that just isn't feasible right now. That said, I can afford to upgrade my bike in small increments.

Now, my question is first, how upgradeable is that bike? I know in the long run I might spend more than a new bike, but it won't be a big hit all at once. Any thoughts?

As for what I'm wanting to do with it, I'm mainly wanting to do mostly paved, but some light dirt trails too. I appreciate any input.

It currently has 7-speed cassette, and grip shift shifters.

2. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

What is it you want to upgrade?

The drivetrain? To say a 8, 9 or even 10 speed?
    Not gonna be cheap. Probably not going to give you the results equal to the cost to do so.

Upgrade the handlebars/seat
    Nothing has really changed there(except prices) in the last 10 years.

Upgrade the wheels?
    Now here you can find some real bargains in wheels.

???

3. Codejockey

Codejockey New Member

Well, the shifter doesn't shift smoothly at all. It could simply be an adjustment, but I'm not sure. Like for example, if I'm going uphill and really get on it but shift during that time it will often make loud bangs and skip for lack of a better work. The drivetrain is totally stock. It currently is setup with 7 gears in the back and 3 in the front. Also, the bike uses grip shifters and i'd prefer a different shifting type. The bars aren't bad but the grips are terrible on my hands so I'd like to replace them. As for wheels, I'd have no idea where to start.

4. Codejockey

Codejockey New Member

Oh, and my rear wheel bolts on. Front uses a quick-release. I'd really like to put a quick release in the back. I'm not even sure how doable that is. But that would be near / at the top of my list of desires.