Third hand brake tool

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by markmay, Apr 6, 2010.

1. markmay

markmay New Member

Hi Everybody;

Been gearing up for the short summer in Fairbanks and I'm looking for a third hand brake tool. Keep missing them on Ebay. Whats the going rate and who could I buy a new one from.

Thanks,

Mark May
    [email protected]

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Have you tried a bike shop, or do they not have them in Fairbanks? There's a guy on eBay that usually has good deals on new tools. Not hard to find with a bit of searching.

3. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

4. fleeter

Are you downtown Fairbanks? Becuase from what I remember, there's a Fred Meyer's downtown, and they would definitely have something you could use like a bar clamp.

Attached Files:

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Why I feel like an idiot but what's the point? Encase of brake failure?

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Nah, it's just the tool you use to squeeze your brakes while you're installing/adjusting them.

7. fleeter

yup. If you can compress the brakes, then you're able to use your other "two hands" to make sure the cables are efficiently dialed in... but I seem to get along fine without one :rolleyes:

8. camilo

camilo New Member

yea, haven't used on in years. But now that my mind's been jogged, I think I'll look in the "Box of sh..." to see if it's still there.

I kind of man-handle my brakes if they get un-centered, and never have problems adjusting cable or trim w/o third hand tool.

But IIRC, older style brakes were a little more difficult than modern side-pulls.