Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Cannondale Bad Boy, I think I like the BB5, (with the lefty fork) anyone have any experience with any of these?

Traditional fork with "HeadShok" and fitted with knobbies

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I agree, the Bad Boy looks Bad Azz! I just noticed the one with the knobby tires looks like it has the Alpine 8 speed rear hub. There's a few different models of the bike to choose from, here's some more info on the Cannondale website on the 5 model, specs, ect. Its alot of money for me, but from most of the things I've read about it, I may spring for it one day. Many seem to want to replace the seat, seat post, grips, and pedals right away though.

BAD BOY 5

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Would that fork increase the weight of the bike alot??:confused::confused:
I don't know, but I have liked the look of that fork since I first saw one watching the documentary 'Ride the Divide'. That's the mountain bike race from Canada to Mexico down the Continental Divide. The guy what won it, Matthew Lee is a factory Cannondale rider, and his bike had one of those single forks. Actually I believe he has one the race 4 or 5 times.

I dvr'd Ride the Divide and watch it occasionally when I want to be inspired. I feel accomplished riding a 100 miles, and the guys (and girls) that do that self-supported race, traveling 2700 miles in roughly 18 days. Even if you're not into mountain biking you should watch the movie.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm trying to figure out how a fork that is totally missing a entire leg could be heavier ? How could it make the bike weigh more... I mean first thought to my mind was that it would weigh less...

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
The BB5 is like seeing an amputee...something is missing but ya just can't help staring.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how a fork that is totally missing a entire leg could be heavier ? How could it make the bike weigh more... I mean first thought to my mind was that it would weigh less...
To support the wheel with only one point of attachment must require a beefier axle and I suppose a fork arm that must be twice as strong as a normal one, which might require it to be more than twice as heavy. I like the Lefty fork, but it seems to me that it would be easier to maximize strength to weight ratio with a two legged fork.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Poolie... where would I find this Ride the Divide movie to rent? I mean is it a major movie that could be found at most movie rental places? I would love to see it, my girlfriend would to who just got into biking. Can never get enough inspiration. ;?)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
@Poolie... where would I find this Ride the Divide movie to rent? I mean is it a major movie that could be found at most movie rental places? I would love to see it, my girlfriend would to who just got into biking. Can never get enough inspiration. ;?)
Just happen to see it on the TV listing several months ago and DVR'd it. Apparently I have a channel called the Documentary channel. They show lots of low budget... well, documentaries. Check out the link Ride The Divide - A feature film about world's toughest mountain bike race. they probably list places where you can buy the dvr. I believe there's a movie trailer on that site.

Edit: You can get it on Amazon for $19.49 (and free shipping)

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,542 Posts
It's streaming on netflix.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good guys thanks. I believe my girlfriends son does the Netflix thing off of his video game box whatever it is. .. I ask him to look it up! ;?)

·
1,355 Posts
I watched Ride the Divide yesterday and it is a good flic. I give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.
thanks Poolie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bb5

funny you post this about the bb5 I have a kona hoss hard tail with disc brakes and i have commuted to work with it about 7 miles round trip and the big knobby tires are not practical on city roads. I also just found the cannondale bb9 i was looking at and it is very reasonably priced i think. Reading many reviews it seems like it is the perfect replacement bike for me because i am no to fond of drop bars but want the gears and skinny tires to go fast the and the mountain bike frame and hydraulic disc brakes are like second nature from my bike. Ride the divide is a great documentary also. Let me no what you end up deciding on the bike!

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I believe the Lefty Is titanium. Thus the strength and weight savings combine.
Speaking from experience, it does create challenges when transporting the bike.

On the other hand, changing tires and tubes on the front is a snap.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,174 Posts
funny you post this about the bb5 I have a kona hoss hard tail with disc brakes and i have commuted to work with it about 7 miles round trip and the big knobby tires are not practical on city roads. I also just found the cannondale bb9 i was looking at and it is very reasonably priced i think. Reading many reviews it seems like it is the perfect replacement bike for me because i am no to fond of drop bars but want the gears and skinny tires to go fast the and the mountain bike frame and hydraulic disc brakes are like second nature from my bike. Ride the divide is a great documentary also. Let me no what you end up deciding on the bike!
Have you considered 'trekking' or 'butterfly' bars, Swauvy? Two names for the same type of bar - they are strange looking, but give you control comparable to flat bars with a lot more available hand positions. I'm not a fan of drop bars myself, but ran into hand tingling/numbness problems running the flats. Best of luck with the hunt!

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
Have you considered 'trekking' or 'butterfly' bars, Swauvy? Two names for the same type of bar - they are strange looking, but give you control comparable to flat bars with a lot more available hand positions. I'm not a fan of drop bars myself, but ran into hand tingling/numbness problems running the flats. Best of luck with the hunt!
Agree, I just switched back to the "trekking/butterfly" bar on my Jamis Allegro 1. It's my longer distance machine and I two don't care for drop bars! I'll second your recomendation!:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts