Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,550 Posts
You're lucky to have escaped with your ankles!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
We have three at home, plus I share custody of another one with my ex. She's dropped him off, and her other dog while she's on vacation. Five small dogs in our house. It's thunder when they stampede on the oak flooring.

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are going in the lions dens daily SignWorX. Wow. Five is a lot in a house hack. Great photo Larry. When I bicycled Shark Valley August 2011 I was so afraid the gators would trap me on that section of the trail. But I didn't see any. Thank for seeing here everyone.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I wish I could claim taking that photo, but it's actually from the Shark Valley S.P. web site.

I believe it was 2008 when my wife and I last visited Shatk Valley. It is a fascinating place with surprises like that photo every few yards.

One 15 second drama I'll never forget was to see a heron chase a fish for a few feet before catching it, only to have an alligator lunge after the heron. The gator got a few tail feathers, but the heron made it away and up on the bank where it swallowed the fish ... all happened within about 10 feet from us.

·
348 Posts
Two more Florida trail users reported missing from the Everglades Shark Valley Trail ...
There are some things I truly don't miss having to worry about since moving back from Florida. Yeah, and hurricanes too!

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
DChapman said:
There are some things I truly don't miss having to worry about since moving back from Florida. Yeah, and hurricanes too!
Not sure what's worst, an occasional hurricane or earthquakes, mudslides and large forrest fires. ;)

·
348 Posts
Our last year in Tampa, 2004, we had to evacuate for Hurricane Charlie, which you remember looked like it was headed our way. I was expecting my youngest at the time. Davis Island was a mandatory zone so we packed up the kids, important stuff, photo albums, Taylor guitar, and went to Plant city, where some friends had invited us. We fully expected to lose everything else. Charlie dipped south and devastated Arcadia and Punta Gorda. We went home and cleaned up tree branches. There were three more tropical storm/hurricane threats that year. Lost power for 5 days with one of them but managed to score a generator and kept the fridge going at least. We flipped pancakes on the lanai and met more neighbors outside. Later, our band did a benefit concert in Arcadia and I couldn't believe the damage, blue tarp on many roofs, trees that looked like someone had taken a giant weedwacker to them. We lost a car to a fallen tree branch but were very blessed in comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts