Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catching up on one of my favorite bike sites after being away from the internet last week, I came across this.

Ridiculous! I mean there looks to be plenty of other things along the route that someone could put a pipe-bomb in. You would think this kind of thing would not be legal in AMERICA.

Bikerumor

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
The bombs will obviously be placed in the barricades. I do appreciate the comment about sending cops in windbreakers out to round up the bikes. Shows that they have serious concerns about possible explosives.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I thought it was fake. Any number of reasons why cops would be picking up bikes but bombs? Come on. I was wrong. It's happened before.

·
Registered
567 Posts
No Doubt. Just as ridiculous is when Barack flys into DIA, all airspace is closed down within a ten mile radius. Understandable to a point, but I fly Radio Controlled sailplanes and our airfield is about 6 miles north of DIA. This shuts down playing with our toys until he leaves. Sheesh!!:hate: I've often wonder what he'd think when looking out the planes window and seeing a 2 foot F-16 flying long side. :D

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
dog, sorry, can't be sympathetic; it's a toy, get over it.... Not trying to start an argument, but that's a trifle.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Not looking nor asking for sympathy. Far from trifle. But that's a whole nother story. Like the ole saying goes: "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Did they confiscate any White Castles? Most folks call them 'gut bombs', let's be thorough....

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
I'd be pretty upset if my bike got manhandled and thrown into the back of a truck like that... not very nice :(

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I guess the bomb sniffing dogs were on layoff do to the money crunch :rolleyes:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I actually understand why they remove the bikes like they do....and believe me, this isn't the first time it has happened. Its actually been a common occurance since the assassination of Deutsche Bank president Alfred Herrhausen in 1989. Below you will find a link to a pretty good story on the successful assassination, but in summary...Mr. Herrhausen was traveling down the road in an armored vehicle when an explosive device attached to a bicycle on the side of the road ripped through his vehicle. It was a well planned and well implemented attack, and it scared the crap out of the USSS and diplomatic security service.

The problem I have with this is no one got a heads up...and of course the picture clearly shows the bikes being man handled.

Superbomb Mystery: The Herrhausen Assassination | Danger Room | Wired.com

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I guess the bomb sniffing dogs were on layoff do to the money crunch :rolleyes:
You beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to post. A bomb sniffing dog would be waaaaaaaaay more efficient and piss off a lot less folks. Plus, a bomb sniffing dog might find a bomb that's not cleverly hidden in a bike.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to post. A bomb sniffing dog would be waaaaaaaaay more efficient and piss off a lot less folks. Plus, a bomb sniffing dog might find a bomb that's not cleverly hidden in a bike.
Sadly, it isn't about efficiency. Its about a show of power and strength. These agencies have the power to remove bicycles, news stands, mailboxes and as Hack mentioned, weld manhole covers closed. And they want the "bad guys" to see it. Problem is, the bad guys are impressed by all that. They just look for new ways to deliver their "badness". If anything, I think we motivate them. Kind of an ego thing.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Sadly, it isn't about efficiency. Its about a show of power and strength. These agencies have the power to remove bicycles, news stands, mailboxes and as Hack mentioned, weld manhole covers closed. And they want the "bad guys" to see it. Problem is, the bad guys are impressed by all that. They just look for new ways to deliver their "badness". If anything, I think we motivate them. Kind of an ego thing.
True, and there is no love lost between cyclists in New York and the NYPD which doesn't help.

·
Registered
567 Posts
True, and there is no love lost between cyclists in New York and the NYPD which doesn't help.

Wasn't it the NYPD that tased the youngster for a malfunctioning taillight on his bicycle? Just heard a blurb about. Thought the NY cops were mentioned, but not sure. Someone was pretty tightly wound.:eek:

·
30 Posts
I'm just wondering though, who in their right mind would lock their bike to a TEMPORARY barricade anyways? I sure as hell wouldn't, but then again thats just me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts