Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finally decided on my bike. The specialized sirrus limited with carbon fiber frame, is this a good choice? My other choices were the Trek 7.7 fx and the Giant Rapid 1. Also was looking at the Cannondale quick sl1 and cannondale quick carbon 2. Is there an advantage to having a carbon frame on a hybrid bike versus just aluminum? Or is it just for show. I'm also planning on getting some sort of GPS system for my bike, probably the Garmin edge 500 or garmin edge 800. I also was thinking of buying the Trek 7.9 fx all carbon frame but it was discontinued and was a little to expensive for my tastes. Anyone here think the specialized sirrus limited isn't a good choice I would appreciate feedback and why. I'll mostly be riding the bike for fun and fitness and like the flat bar bikes versus. the drop downs on road bikes. I feel more comfortable on them. Also how long does the battery last on the garmin edge 800 and do they have replacement batteries? What's the difference between the garmin 800 bundle and the regular version. Do you get turn by turn navigation in both versions and color maps of destinations?? Thanks. Also does the regular version give you the speed in mph/kph or do you need the bundle for that?

Thanks

Joe.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Garmins are like iPods. If the unit dies you have to send it in. Mine died. I have a 305 and it was 79 bux for a replacement unit, looked brand new! Unless you ride in unfamiliar area and don't have a smart phone there not really much need for th 800 and I would suggest the 500. Poolie has a 80 and he has commented a great percentage of the time he looks at the data and not maps, maybe he'll pop in and give a response I regards to that.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've never seen the Sirrus Limited. Is it new in the Specialized lineup, or have I simply overlooked it? Either way, I like it. The only thing you may or may not like is the way Sram does it's trigger shifters. I have similar shifters on my mountain bike and I'm still getting used to them. Hopefully you've already ridden the bike and know what I'm talking about.

The battery life on the Garmin 800? Well it depends. Without the backlight on, and I honestly don't know why you would need to leave it on all of the time, it'll go around 12-15 hours. If you keep the backlight on, battery is supposed to suffer big time.

The difference between the bundle and the regular is simply that the bundle comes with the heart rate monitor and cadence sensor, etc and the regular is simply the GPS and mount only.

As Rola mentioned, about 99% of the time I don't use the mapping feature. It's one of the coolest featured you'll rarely ever use. This coming weekend is one of those exceptions. I'm doing a charity ride so instead of lugging around a route sheet I can simply upload the route and get turn by turn directions for teh ride. Other than that I doubt you'll ever use it. The majority of the time I have a page up that shows current speed, distance, heart rate and time.

I'm totally happy with my 800, but honestly I think the 500 would do me just as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts