1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed at home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none.
And this little piggy went...
"Wee wee wee" all the way home...

Children's poem, pretty innocent, right? Wrong. And I'll tell you why, the GD little piggy that went wee wee wee all the way home kicked my ass.

You're probably wondering wth is wrong with me (my wife does quite a bit!), and you wouldn't be wrong in thinking that. About two weeks ago, I had just finished up a 10:00 min set of Turkish Get Ups. And then, after 600 seconds of moving correctly up and down off of the floor doing multiple lunges, as I got off the floor to the next exercise, I somehow drilled my pinky toe into the floor.

If you've never kicked something with your pinky toe, it is somewhere between a root canal without "the happy gas," and pouring rubbing alcohol into an open wound in terms of a rootin' tootin' good time. It is quite possibly one of the most God awful horrifically painful things you can do.

So after the initial tsunami of profanity exploded out of my voice box (yes, I was alone at the studio which afforded me such a language luxury), and the pain breifly subsided, I finished my workout. And then the fun began.

While the next two days got better in terms of pain, my body began to fall apart. The little piggy that went wee wee wee all the home had done a huge number on my biomechanics:
I began to over pronate on my left foot.
This tightened up my outer calf, TFL and hipflexors
In turn hampering my glute function (which is always fun)
Tightening up my left shoulder playing with my range of motion
It then tightened up the left side of my neck.
My breathing began to be affected as my hips tightening up making it harder to open up my chest.
The kicker was my upper back going into a mild spasm leaning over to tie my shoes.
All from my GD left pinky toe being in pain. Luckily it wasn't broken, but it was beginning to break me, and here's why.

"The foot provides structural support for the body during the stance phase of gait - from heel strike through foot flat to toe-off," says Tim Agnew in his article Supination and Pronation and Its Effect on the Hip. "If one or more of the foot’s arches is not able to provide the necessary support, abnormal postural adaptations are created. Additional stress is placed on the many joints, ligaments and muscles involved in helping to maintain upright posture."

Lucky for me, this injury played by the book and was a pretty good progression of regression for my body. What happened was I began to develop an unequal balance of load sharing by my lower body. Muscle shortened that shouldn't have, and consequently other muscles lengthened that you don't want to. This wreaked havoc on postural foundation in my pelvis and began to shift my spinal column alignment.

So the take away here, other than DO NOT DO THIS, is that should incur an injury to one of your toes, you will begin to develop movement compensations that can cause muscle imbalances as well as pretty fun aches and pains.

Everything is finally starting to drop back into place, but it has not been fun. It took some serious ART sessions on Dr. Vid Jindal's table coupled with some horrific glute work, but things look to be back on track.

So, if you are a runner, hiker, walk, upright ambulatory human being, and you over pronate on either foot, you will throw your posture out of alignment and realistically you may begin to develop aches and pains. A support category running shoe WILL NOT fix this. This is a greater problem up your kinetic chain that has to be addressed.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The little piggy that went wee wee wee all the way home needs to be turned into beacon. Just the memory of stubbing my little toe on a bed post or whatever brings pain...

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poolie said:
The little piggy that went wee wee wee all the way home needs to be turned into beacon. Just the memory of stubbing my little toe on a bed post or whatever brings pain...
Worst GD pain I've had in a while. I don't recommend it as a form of recreation.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I have broken all of my toes, except for the big ones, and broke my foot once too. It is the most exquisitely focused pain I have experienced. I rode my bike to my friend's house with a broken hand, and had a vasectomy without anesthesia, just for comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have broken all of my toes, except for the big ones, and broke my foot once too. It is the most exquisitely focused pain I have experienced. I rode my bike to my friend's house with a broken hand, and had a vasectomy without anesthesia, just for comparison.
I almost spit my lunch all over a wall when I read that!!!!!! LMFAO on that one!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed. I rotate between Vivo Barefoot shoes, Merrell Trail Gloves for hiking, and some Altra Zero Drops for the studio.

I also use Vibrams to workout at public joints when I'm not at the studio. I'd also like to try Some FutGloves and the Adidas five fingered shoes.

What's on your feet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts